Barred Rock lays random eggs. Please Help

DestinysChicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
My 1 year old Barred Rock, who is a consistent everyday egg layer, has recently started acting a little odd.
Although she is getting a normal balanced diet, her droppings have been very runny (for about a week now) and she has started dropping random eggs.
1 from her roost durning the night (that landed in her poo pile) and a few in the run. All have been Hard shell eggs. Its as if she doesnt know they are falling out. and its happening every other day (when her schedule use to be every day)
Otherwise she is acting fine, healthy, and normal and running around with the others.
Does anybody have any suggestions? or have seen this before? Thanks for any advice you can give

Don't think the two problems are connected necessarily. Runny poo this time of year is semi- normal due the summer heat they consume a lot of water. As far as laying outside and not in a box could be a couple reasons. Another chicken forcing her out of her box,could be a snake in there for starters. As far as every other day she could be getting ready to or already started to molt. Not saying these ARE reasons just a couple of possibilities.

thanks for the response...i will keep an eye on her. Im hoping shes just didnt come down with worms or some other internal bug that is making her loose down there. : - )

It could be worms but where she is laying fairly regular with nice hard eggs I wouldn't think that. As they sap nutrients in the egg making process. Funny thing with chickens one problem could be any of many culprits. Just got to rule them out one by one.

Back
Top Bottom