Barred Rock ?? Maybe?

duckman14

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Cambridge mn
I had gotten 2 barred rock chicks a few weeks ago. They are now 4 weeks old. Within the last few days one of them is starting to get some goldish coloring on its head. Does this mean its a mix? And if so what do ya think, pullet or roo?

The gold color doesn't seem like it should be there, does it? What color are his legs? I'm saying "his", but it's a little early to tell. There seems to be a lot of comb development, though.

I will take a pic of mine tonight and post for you -- mine are a little over 3 weeks old and my roo already has a REALLY red comb and you can even see red on the waddle area. It is OBVIOUS.
Also my pullet has a black wash down her legs and the roo does not. Neither of mine have the gold though.

My pullets feathers also look more "spotted" then "barred" right now kinda like yours in the first pic. The comb looks big but I don't see any reddening in the picture, is there any?

Edit: Forgot to add, my pullet has almost completely feathered out and my roo has half the amount of feathers eventhough they are the same age. The BR pullets get their feathers quicker then the males.

Last edited:
I can't see any gold color in the pictures. BRs have yellowish skin, and ours had little bald spots on top of their heads around that age. Are there gold feathers or is it their skin you're seeing?

edit: I see the golden color in the first pic now... maybe a little buff orpington somewhere in the family tree?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom