Barred Rock missing! I FOUND HER!!!!!

NoSpringChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
SE PA
I just wanted to vent...hope it's okay....

Hubby and I went out for an hour before dark and the girls were not ready to be locked up in their coop; I told him we wouldn't be long and will be right back.....well, a few minutes turned into two hours and before long it was 8:30 p.m. before we got back home. I noticed everyone was in the coop except one of my two barred rocks...my precious hens...the only ones that come running to me and let me pick them up.

Someone gave us back a rooster that just didn't work out and the roo was roosting with my other hens, but this one barred rock was hanging outside the coop. I thought perhaps she didn't like being in the coop with the only rooster. I went over to her and picked her up, and she purred like a cat as I stroked and rubbed her neck...it was if she was trying to tell me something wasn't right. My other barred rock was missing.....I hope to God she is roosting in a tree somewhere, but I believe that a fox got her.

My hubby heard the foxes screaming on the mountain the other night and believes that they are patterning the chickens.

I don't know if I can sleep tonight....I'm so worried for her. She was one of my favorites. Holding in the tears!
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
How awful! I hope your girl is waiting for you in the morning. I lost my NH Red to probably a coyote or fox yesterday. They're feeding pups right now, and are on the prowl. Not that that will make you feel any better.

I cannot believe it.....I was up all night; just could not sleep. When my hubby left for work at 5 a.m......he came running back in saying, she is right beside the coop.

I wonder if getting the rooster back had something to do with her disappearing. The rooster seems a little rough with both of the barred rocks and even though they are submissive; the both don't want to be with him. Perhaps because he's not a barred rock???? Any suggestions as to whether I should separate them?

Anyway, thank you for all your thoughts and letting me vent. What a miracle; I got my hen back!!!!

Whew, that's great that she's okay. I don't know about the rooster breed being the issue. I'm no expert, but my roo is now history and I hope the submissive hens have some peace.

Good luck with the roo's return.
fl.gif

I'm glad she's back. Just like people, I guess chickens get along with some chickens better than others.

Quote:
Are your birds free range or were they in a coop/run? I am so sorry to hear about loosing all your birds. That is truly devastating news. Will you be getting new birds and what would you do different if you do?

Back
Top Bottom