Barred rock or Australorp?? AHHHH

adshoemake

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
These chicks came from a Partridge rock rooster and partridge rock and white rock hens. These are not to breed standards my any means but wanted some help on these and to see what breeds they could be. I think the brown ones look like partridge rocks maybe but the black ones have me stumped. I'm thinking they look like barred rocks since they came from rock parents but they don't have the yellow dot on the head like I read they are supposed to and then I saw black australorp chicks and that's what they look like but I didn't think you could get an australorp from two rock parents or I could be wrong? Maybe there was a recessive gene somewhere in the dad but 6 out of 8 eggs have hatched and 3 are black....Any help would be great.

You cannot get Austrolopes out of two Rock parents...totally different breeds.

What they look like is black sex links. With black sexlinks the girls will be all black while the boys will have a white dot on the head representing the barring to come for the roos. The girls will remain black with usually some color bleed through.

However, I don't know how you could have done that with what you've got. You need a non-barring father over a barring female as the female will determine the sex, meaning the boys get the barring while the girls do not.

I am not familiar enough with the genetics to know if a white rock or a partridge rock hen could conceivably carry the barring gene...and my understanding is there are 2 barring genes...so maybe she carries one of them and potentially looks like a white barred on white but can produce barring offspring??? Or maybe the partridge had the barring gene????

I will watch others come in and explain if that is the case...but you don't have Austrolopes. That would be impossible.

They are Rock mixes...and looks like you'll get some barred colored Rocks.
Lady of McCamley

You cannot get Austrolopes out of two Rock parents...totally different breeds.

What they look like is black sex links. With black sexlinks the girls will be all black while the boys will have a white dot on the head representing the barring to come for the roos. The girls will remain black with usually some color bleed through.

However, I don't know how you could have done that with what you've got. You need a non-barring father over a barring female as the female will determine the sex, meaning the boys get the barring while the girls do not.

I am not familiar enough with the genetics to know if a white rock or a partridge rock hen could conceivably carry the barring gene...and my understanding is there are 2 barring genes...so maybe she carries one of them and potentially looks like a white barred on white but can produce barring offspring??? Or maybe the partridge had the barring gene??
I'm not sure either. And I noticed that there are 3 black chicks and one of them has the spot on the head and the others do not. But I think I read somewhere that in order to get a partridge rock you have to mate with a barred rock in order to get the partridge so maybe the partridge girl that I have has the barring gene? Could the father have the gene as well and maybe that cause it? I have a partridge roo, one partridge female and 4 white females. And there were a mix of eggs. But i'm not sure which was what bc I gave them to a lady up the street for her broody to hatch so they got all mixed up even though I labeled them and told her to watch so I would know lol but there are three that look like my partridge or could they all be sexlink and I have black sex link and red sexlink? And is sexlink a different breed or does that just mean you can tell the male from female and that can happen in any breed???

A true White Rock is a sport out of the original Rock, the Barred Rock. The Barred Rock is a composite breed, made from Cochin, Black Java and Dominique 130 years ago.

The Partridge Rock was likely composed with Indian Game, Partridge Cochin, and Gold Laced Wyandotte.

The Barred Rock, and its sport, the White Rock and the Partridge Rock really have very little commonality in their makeup. It is the type that make it a Rock.

Just as the Buff Rock, the Silver Penciled Rock have their own composite histories as well.

so would the white rocks have possibly given me the black chicks and my partridge given me the brown ones? I know that my brown bird only had 2 eggs in there and my white rocker were the rest. So there is one white that has given me a brown chick. So do you think all the blacks are going to be barred and the browns will be partridge?

That cockbird came from the deepest end of the genetic gene pool. LOL
There's no possible way of knowing what resides under that, for sure!!! Colorful fella isn't he.

The chicks will likely be adorable once they feather out. Have fun with them.
yes he's very pretty and that's why we kept him. So I guess he's really not true to breed standard. we knew he wasn't bc he came from tractor supply lol

Back
Top Bottom