Barred rock or Australorp?? AHHHH

It is impossible to say with certainty. They'll grow and feather out. It will be fascinating to see what happens. I suspect the black chicks will be black but there may be some bleeding of red or white. They won't likely be barred well, if at all.

The brown tone chicks will likely be partridge, yes. Since neither parent is true bred or bred to the standard, the chicks won't be either. However, they should grow up to be fine chickens and with good care, they'll be healthy and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
This is White bird that I bred a few years back.. She's a white sport. Her mother 100% Barred Rock. She's hiding her barring quite well, but it is still there. LOL

Ahhh Haaa.... I wondered if the White Rock would be a white bar on white...barring just not showing....so that could very well be the culprit???

Would they be sex linked then? The black females and the white dot males? As wouldn't you have a barred female (White Rock) with a non-barred male (Partridge Rock)?

Didn't know the Rocks came from such different lines such that they are different breeds essentially...if I read you right. Unlike Black Lab, Yellow Lab, Chocolate Lab in dogs...all can come from the same litter as they are just different fur color (Chocolate being recessive).

Oops: EDITED to say you can only get a Chocolate Lab from 2 Chocolate Lab parents, chocolate being recessive, however you can have Yellow Labs and Black Labs in the same litter.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
Yea I'm not sure but I am thinking that one of the whites have given us a brown chicken. We want to breed these same chickens again and I was trying to figure this all out so we know which ones to hatch from which hen lol. This has all been great info (a little confusing) but great nonetheless haha

ANd there is one black chick that I saw with a spot on the head so I was thinking maybe that would be the one to end up with some barring? And I am going over there tomorrow to see if we can look at the wings and determine sex but the surrogate mother is soooo broody shes like a ninja chicken lol so i'm not sure how we will be able to check them or move her. But the woman has them up a little high and one almost fell out of where they are so they need to be moved down either way

Back
Top Bottom