Barred Rock or Black Sex Linked Roo?

Red&Yellow :

It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between chick barred Rocks and male black sex links. Unless, of course, you make your own with a golden-laced Wyandotte as the sire
big_smile.png
cuz then the sex link would have a rosecomb!

Unless you use an Orpington cock to make the BSL babies. Then you get Barred cockerels with "white" legs. I think they are creepy looking. lol Of course a true Barred Rock cockerel would have yellow legs and that would be the obvious difference between the two.​

Ok thanks. I would just want some chickens for around here. Mutts are good enough for me, for now
smile.png

I have both barred rock cockerels and BSL cockerels about 3 weeks old right now. It is actually pretty easy to tell which is which. My 2 BSL boys had striped faces, one kind of reddish, the other just white eyelines. None of the BRs had any kind of striping.
And now that they're feathering out, the barring is much more distinct on the BRs.

But probably this is nothing that anyone would notice unless you held up the two together to compare. If you like, I may be able to get pics tomorrow.

Quote:
I would love to see pics. Our electricity went out last night:( Just saw it wss back on. Pics are great, thanks
smile.png

Ok!
Here is the first pair, BR in front, BSL in back
The picture's a little dark, but notice the red on the face of the BSL? It is much clearer in person, but this was the best pic I could get, sorry. But see the faint striping of the face? What you can see of the barring, it is much more distinct on the BR. And it doesn't really show in the picture, but the BSL has nearly a white chest.
IMAG0195.jpg

Here is BSL #2 and a different BR cockerel.
This BSL cockerel has white striping on his face, but still striping, and again, the barring is more distinct on the (different then the first pair) BR. Also, in this pic, you can see how the BSL chick has a lighter breast, though the more feathers both BSLs get, the less distinct the breast feathers are.
IMAG0191.jpg

These birds are from Cackle Hatchery. Different hatcheries may use a different cross for their sex-links and have a different result.

Last edited:
Quote:
The comb is by no means sex-linked..
If you cross a Wyandotte rooster over a Barred Rock hen you could get all rose comb or you could get some single comb on both the cockerels and pullets..

Chris

You can't cross just any colour Wyandotte over barred and get sex links. There are more then just the golden-laced variety of Wyandotte that you can use, but I don't which. I believe that genetics of the rooster have to be 'red', but don't quote me on that
wink.png

As for the rosecomb, rosecomb is completely dominant over single comb; any bird coming from an F1 rosecomb (like a Wyandotte) and F1 single comb (like a Plymouth Rock), the offspring will all have rosecombs.

I've just finished my hatching for the year, and out of 50+ birds, all with rosecomb ancestry, either sire or dam, have had rosecombs.

Thanks so much for the pics
smile.png
Yes, I see what you are saying. Here are a couple pics of when he was younger. One as a week old, the others a few weeks old. He is 13 weeks now. He has changed so much. Do you see the BSL traits on him here.
Thanks.
55535_100_0082.jpg

55535_100_0077.jpg

55535_100_0299.jpg

55535_barred_rock_3.jpg

Red&Yellow :

Quote:
The comb is by no means sex-linked..
If you cross a Wyandotte rooster over a Barred Rock hen you could get all rose comb or you could get some single comb on both the cockerels and pullets..

Chris

You can't cross just any colour Wyandotte over barred and get sex links. There are more then just the golden-laced variety of Wyandotte that you can use, but I don't which. I believe that genetics of the rooster have to be 'red', but don't quote me on that
wink.png

As for the rosecomb, rosecomb is completely dominant over single comb; any bird coming from an F1 rosecomb (like a Wyandotte) and F1 single comb (like a Plymouth Rock), the offspring will all have rosecombs.

I've just finished my hatching for the year, and out of 50+ birds, all with rosecomb ancestry, either sire or dam, have had rosecombs.​

First, I know that there is more than one color of Wyandotte.
Red has nothing to do with a Black Sex-link. In Black Sex-link it is the Barring Sex-linked gene (B)..
Here is a link to Sex-links https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Not all the time.. I can cross a Rose comb R.I. Red with a Single comb R.I. Red and get a mixture of combs.
I think that there was a post and discussion in the "Breeds, Genetics, & Showing" about how the combs and I believe that some of the Genetic experts were rethinking the rosecomb is completely dominant over single comb idea...

Chris​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom