Barred Rock or Buff Orpingtons which one

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linda91722, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    I have four RIR that are about 9 months now and I was planning on adding two more lovely ladies, but I was wondering which one of these two would be best to add to the flock. (I loved both chickies I saw) the BR or BO [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Both......get one of each........thats what you do when you cant pick one [​IMG]

3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    My Barred Rock is my favorite but I have always heard the Buff Orpingtons are so sweet. That's a tough one. I couldn't get BO at my feedstore but I really wanted some.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My BR come running full tilt when they see me, have a noise just for me (hubby and kids not so much) and they love to leap into my lap and be petted. I never owned anything else, but I'm sold on these sweet things. My neighbor's RIR are curious, but not interested in being very social- could just be the way they were raised.

I say BR!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have both. I love both. My favorite for personality, curiosity, laying consistency and just all-round goofiness are my Barred Rocks, even the roosters are awesome.

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I agree with one each. I love my moms barred rocks and I love my buff orps

7. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    Ok, that is it I am going to buy one of each [​IMG] I fell in love with the little chickies they were so cute Thanks everyone.

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Best of luck! I hope they are fabulous!

9. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    When got mix beause I could not decide...we got 2 buff orps because we had heard how sweet they were and got 2 barred rocks for their egg production. But as it turns out, our BRs are much friendlier then the orps and come running when we go out. They are the only ones who will sit on our laps for any amount of time.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck, and enjoy your new chickies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by