Barred Rock or Dominique

I think she looks just like my Dominique. At least she is supposed to be one.
59b7f564.jpg

Quote:
Are you saying my hen is a roo? I paid extra money to have them sexed. I personally don't think she is a roo, her comb looks just as light and small as all my other hens.

I am only saying so because her/his feathers are very light suggesting cockerel. pullet's feathers are darker.

Quote:
I'm afraid yours isn't a Dominique either. Some folks refer to all barred chickens as "Dominikers" which makes it very confusing.

Oh, and there should be a size and body shape/stance difference as well. Rocks are supposed to be a good 2 pounds heavier when fully grown.

you may have gotten dominiques if you ordered them. if from a hatchery they are liable of having single combs like a barred rock, because they are hatchery stock. they are for production and sometimes they come with single combs from a hatchery. but she will be a good layer though!
smile.png
if she's a hen

Quote:
I have a Phoebe also (L) and Lucy on the right.
They are both supposed to be Cuckoo Marans?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66234_img_0127.jpg

Your birds are two different breeds. The one on the left has yellow legs and a straight comb, which is indicative of a Barred Rock. The right bird has white legs and a straight comb, which is indicative of a Cuckoo Marans (though she's very dark even for a cuckoo).

Hope that helps!

Quote:
I have a Phoebe also (L) and Lucy on the right.
They are both supposed to be Cuckoo Marans?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66234_img_0127.jpg

Your birds are two different breeds. The one on the left has yellow legs and a straight comb, which is indicative of a Barred Rock. The right bird has white legs and a straight comb, which is indicative of a Cuckoo Marans (though she's very dark even for a cuckoo).

Hope that helps!

Thank you. I got them at the Stock Shop and they came out of the locked bin of Cuckoo Marans. No Barred Rocks that day. Maybe wherever they got the girls, Phoebe maybe got in the wrong box.
smile.png
At least I can tell the two girls apart by their legs. When Phoebe was 2 days old, she did have white legs. No matter what she is, she is still very much wanted here. She and the rest of her 9 different breed "sisters' are part of the family.

Back
Top Bottom