Barred rock pecking RIR.. please help!

Is that across the board you don’t figure nest areas into coop space?
Yes.

Is the packaging wrong?
Yes.
Very common for the tiny coop/run combos to grossly overstate the population numbers.
Think they are based on factory farming standards, so probably legal, but most backyard keepers are trying to improve on those conditions....and there are plenty of stories here about the problems crowding can create.
Another serious deficit to those tiny coops is a lack of ventilation.

Yes.

Yes.
Very common for the tiny coop/run combos to grossly overstate the population numbers.
Think they are based on factory farming standards, so probably legal, but most backyard keepers are trying to improve on those conditions....and there are plenty of stories here about the problems crowding can create.
Another serious deficit to those tiny coops is a lack of ventilation.
Thank you so much for the information. I definitely want to be better than just the big chicken industry standards. Would you recommend scrapping and getting a totally new coop/ run or would adding on to run space be okay? I really appreciate your time. Learning a lot.

Would you recommend scrapping and getting a totally new coop/ run or would adding on to run space be okay?
Building new would be better, and easier in the long run.
There's lots to learn about what makes a good coop that will hold up to long term goals and make things better for both chickens and their keeper(s).

Design can rest upon climate.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1696619550078.png

Building new would be better, and easier in the long run.
There's lots to learn about what makes a good coop that will hold up to long term goals and make things better for both chickens and their keeper(s).

Design can rest upon climate.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3653446
I added my location. Thank you for letting me know. I live in southwest Washington state. Fairly mild temps. Lot of moisture / rain.

I added my location. Thank you for letting me know. I live in southwest Washington state. Fairly mild temps. Lot of moisture / rain.
You're in my climate then.

Yes crowding is likely your issue. The run, while technically enough space for 3, is narrow, which is a problem as birds have a personal bubble of around 5-6'. So as you can imagine, if the run is 3' wide, it gives lower ranked birds zero space to get by without the higher ranked bird taking offense. They're initiating a chase simply because they can't squeeze by.

Also the overall small size of the run does not allow you to add extra feeders or any enrichment items, such as clutter to break line of sight and allow lower rank birds to shelter from others.

The coop (just eyeballing it based on run width) looks maybe 3x3, so that's enough space for 2 in terms of floor space. How many roosts does it have? It does at least appear to have some ventilation on the sides, so that's good, but it's simply small.

IMO the run is the bigger problem right now, so I'd think about addressing that first. If you're not inclined to build anything from scratch, something like a dog kennel might be an option for a base unit, and you can beef up security on it yourself. Just stick the coop inside it and you won't have to fuss with how to connect it to the run either.

Back
Top Bottom