Barred rock pecking RIR.. please help!

Darfingar

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
SW Washington
Hello all,

This is my first time raising chickens. I have two barred rocks and two Rhode Island reds. I believe 2 or 3 just started laying last week. One of the barred rocks is really pecking on of the Rhode Island reds. So much so that my poor girl’s backside is bleeding and there’s a hole in her feathers. How do I deter this behavior? Do we think their run space is too small? Something else? Thanks all for your help and time. Happy laying!!

-d

Do you have pictures of your setup? If they've started to draw blood it can be super hard to deter them - take the barred rock out of the coop and isolate it for a while if it's the only one picking. That can sometimes shock them out of that behavior. Diet can also play a big part of the situation...
You can try to find some Stop Pick to spray on the naked spots to help deter picking but if they have a taste of blood that might not work.

Do you have pictures of your setup? If they've started to draw blood it can be super hard to deter them - take the barred rock out of the coop and isolate it for a while if it's the only one picking. That can sometimes shock them out of that behavior. Diet can also play a big part of the situation...
You can try to find some Stop Pick to spray on the naked spots to help deter picking but if they have a taste of blood that might not work.
I have attached some pictures of the setup. The coop is on top of the run and is about 18 square foot. The total bottom run is about 11’x3’ for about 33 square foot. They do not have access to the larger yard but may need to think about a trailer to move them around a bit?

I just started them on purina layena mix since they recently started laying. They were on purina start and grow. Also just recently stated giving them some meal worms and some veggie scraps to forage for. They have access to grit.

Just FYI: the feeder is new. Tried to teach them to use it and have seen them use it a couple times but they seem to be confused about how to get the food.

Thanks so much for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_5756.jpeg
    IMG_5756.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5754.jpeg
    IMG_5754.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 18
I posted some photos in the reply below this one. Check them out and let me know what you think! Measurements of the run are about 11x3 and the coop has about 18 square feet on the second level with 4 boxes and plenty of roost space.
That's a very cramped space for 4 birds.
You want at least 4sqft per bird in the coop and 10 in the run.
...and, BTW, you don't figure the nest areas into coop space.

I agree.
This coop is good for about 1 full grown bird.
I guess I’m confused then. They have more than 4 square feet for bird in the coop. And they have just shy of 10 per bird in the run. How is it only big enough for one? What am I missing here. Thanks again!!

That's a very cramped space for 4 birds.
You want at least 4sqft per bird in the coop and 10 in the run.
...and, BTW, you don't figure the nest areas into coop space.
Is that across the board you don’t figure nest areas into coop space? I saw so much conflicting information that I wasn’t sure what was correct. I built this coop because all the stuff says it’s good for 3-5 full grown hens. Is the packaging wrong? Thanks for the information!! I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom