Barred Rock People

horseyjess

Songster
14 Years
Sep 2, 2009
SW Florida
Wow I wasnt able to get on here for two weeks NOW I cant stop tonight. IT was determined here that my daughter shouldnt try using my full grown BR girls for 4-H as they have a floppy comb because of our heat here. I know these girls mature fast so was wondering about my two pullets. When the show is they will be a little over 5 mos old. They are 8 or 9 weeks now I think 8 opinions from BR people NEEDED my other half let them fill out the entry forms and he faxed them in. While I was at work so he let them pic 6 chickens each thus the reason I am trying to sort this out. We can always show up with less chickens then we check in but cant show up with more. So should I give one (or both) of these pullets a shot and check them in and if it doesnt work then say ahhh and then just not bring her?

40479_pb031124.jpg

40479_pb031125.jpg

I'm not a BRP (Barred Rock People) BUT... those two don't even come close to show quality.... and they are so young.... still look like chicks.

Might as well enter them both though I don't see how you will know if these will end up with the floppy combs as well or if they will even be worth taking by then but since there IS no way to tell, you might as well.

Quote:
Yes they still are chicks I thought I stated this
idunno.gif
they are only 8.5 weeks old. They would not be used till the end of FEB but we have to check in early today lol! It was just a quick look is one got better barring etc not expecting much gonna enter it and if she turns out horrible in 3 more mos then she will stay at home we can enter less than check in not more and my other half let my girls fill out their entry forms and they did 14 chcikens and I dont have 14 mature/ or that dont have defects (to many toes for a showgirl and sex links and then floppy combs)

Heat isn't really a cause for floppy combs, genetics are. One of those already is showing a twist to the comb - it's going to go over in all likelihood. Check the others now a twist at 2 months will often only get worse. It could be from getting handled but the one with clearer barring is showing a split wing. If she carries it like that all the time, it's a serious fault.

Tight, parallel wings, straight combs - even now, look for cleaner barring. They're kind of light colored for pullets. Mine are darker at that age. I'll help if you want to post more pictures over time, but if they're all you have - enter them, it's still worth the practice. After all you can't enter what you don't have. And everyone starts somewhere. A judges remarks on type are a good thing to learn from. Even on faulted birds. If you look at the standard, I'd suggest bringing any bird not flatly DQ'd and asking LOTS of questions. It's the best way to learn.

If you already have made up your mind to show them because the show is in Feb and registration is so soon go ahead and do so. But they appear to be just run of the mill Hatchery stock so just be prepared for a nominal result, the barring is very indiscript and broken. If your children are young try to insulate them from a let down if they don't show well, I would try and make it more of a fun and learning lesson for them. Good luck to you.

AL

I'm just saying. At 8 weeks old, with red in the face and barring that smushed, they look to be black sex-link males.

Either way, they are hatchery birds and will only do as well as the competition allows.

Back
Top Bottom