Barred rock rooster or something else???

PortugalBantam

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 8, 2014
Portugal

And if he's is not a barred rock but maybe a black sex link then what does that mean for future chicks. Barred or not barred? If crossed with my Delaware hens would the chicks be sex linked?

If he's a sex link, it would mean that he is only single barred, so he will have some offspring hatch that are not barred, as opposed to a double barred barred rock rooster, who would pass barring to all his offspring and all would hatch barred. No, he will not produce sex linked offspring. In a black sex link, it is the female that has to be barred. As to whether he's a black sex link or a barred rock, I'll let others chime in on that, because I'm not the best at telling the two apart.

The Barred Rock is not the only barred bird, and this bird is not a Barred Rock. He is as you say, mostly likely the male half of a black sex link commercial bird, most likely.

A true bred Barred Rock male carries two barring genes, while this bird most likely only carries one. As for what future generations will spring from him is best answered by actually using him in a few test matings and find out. One cannot really judge what buried down inside a bird. We can only see what we see. Test breeding will give you a better idea of what he'll produce.

He looks like a Black Sex-link or other Barred Rock mix to me. His barring isn't distinct enough for a pure Barred Rock, or even a Cuckoo Marans. Body type is somewhat wrong, too.

Back
Top Bottom