Barred rock rooster/Rhode Island Red hen

I wonder if some far recessive gene makes that pop up when crossed with certain breeds. That could explain the variation in coloring we have gotten. All of mine have rose combs as well instead of the stand up kind of comb. They are a comical bunch to watch. That is part of the reason I call them the three amigos.

now i am starting to wonder what color the eggs will be. Barred rocks are brown as are the RIRs. however white chickens generally lay white eggs. The combs on mine are starting to develop and appear to be single comb style but too early to be sure they are just 2 weeks old.

I'd read, the cross between Barred Rock and New Hampshire their offsprings are white.And surely they are called Delaware.May be your RIRs have the New Hamshire in the background.

I think the offspring to a RIR and a Barred Rock is called a Rhodebar. just not sure on which way you go with hens and males to breed to get the Rhodebar look.

Here's a few pics. I found here on the BYC of what the cross in question will look like.
smile.png

teensnowneck1.jpg

picture11.jpg

37500_sdc103901.jpg

I've got some eggs in the incubator right now of BRxRIR cross, they are due to hatch this Fri. and Sat.

Some also call them Gourmet Blacks
smile.png

catdaddy

They are really nice looking! Might have to try to incubate some of these!

Well here are my three chicks as they are feathering out. I finally found names for them all as well. All of the chicks are from a Barred Rock Rooster and a Rhode Island Red Hen. I did not expect such a difference in their coloring. It looks pretty neat. This is 1st because this chick hatched first. Dr. Pepper in the feeder tray looking not happy with the flash. The three amigos on the bench. This is Spicy Tutsie who never stays still for a photo. Spicy Tutsie, she almost feel asleep on my leg. 1st coming for the camera. I guess I was taking to many photos.
Spicy Tutsie looks like an eagle :). I have a egg in lockdown right now and two others on day 5 of incubation that are a mix of my Barred Rock roster and Red Sexlink hen...I would love to get babies that look like Tutsie!

heres a picture of barred rock rooster crossed with rhode island red. some were black some were yellow. now they are getting feathers and the black one is becoming barred and the yellow ones are turning pure white

all of these are from same rooster and hen.
I would have to say that your Barred rock rooster wasn't pure barred rock. If the rooster was a pure Barred rock, all of the chicks would have been like the black one. and as they grew they would look like barred rocks with some red leakage.

Back
Top Bottom