Barred rock rooster/Rhode Island Red hen

ok, so I am seeing that many of you want to tell the gender of your chicks. it is, infact, possible to feather-sex these hybrids. If they are black, the ones with the white patch on top of their heads will be boys. The pure blacks will be girls.

And, yes, this is supported by many books and google, fyi. The barred rocks, when they are chicks will have hens with the white spot, and the roos with none. When you cross BRs with another breed, the gene switches over from female to male.

lol i bet no one is ever going to even read this...
I did and am very thankful for the info

Hi, I am new to the forum and from what I've seen so far, this is a great place!  I live in SE Oklahoma and have a flock of Barred Rocks and RI Reds.  I know that when the RI rooster mates with the BR hens, I will get black sex links.  Does anyone know what the outcome of the BR rooster mating with the RI hens?  Thanks in advanced for all your help.

heres a picture of barred rock rooster crossed with rhode island red. some were black some were yellow. now they are getting feathers and the black one is becoming barred and the yellow ones are turning pure white all of these are from same rooster and hen.
I have the same thing happening getting some white chickens from the mix. Did you ever get a good answer for why this happened?

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to cross my barred rock roo to a RIR hen too.
May I know if the offsprings will be good for eggs or meat?

i have rhode island red hens but my barred rocks are still several months away from maturing. i see at least 3 roosters in the batch. i was wondering do you get this mix of black and white every time you cross these breeds? also, are they sexlinked? thank you

i have rhode island red hens but my barred rocks are still several months away from maturing. i see at least 3 roosters in the batch. i was wondering do you get this mix of black and white every time you cross these breeds? also, are they sexlinked? thank you
Barred hens with non-barred, non-white roosters will always produce black sexlinks. The male chicks will be barred, the female chicks will not be. If the rooster is barred, and purebred, then all of the chicks will be barred.
Barred Rocks have a silver-base color that is dominant over red/gold colors.

in the uk, i'm not sure about the rest of the world, a RIR rooster/cockerel over Barred Plymouth rock hens will produce a Black rock/black star chick, (black rock is a licensed/protected breed and only 1 breeder in Scotland can sell Black rocks,not sure about the rest of the uk or out side the uk, every one else using this cross must use the name black star) these chicks are sex linked, because the barred mother controls the sex link not the rooster, black spots in this cross are female, where usually in a pure BPR X BPR the male chicks have the spots. I have bred this cross myself and ringed the male chicks, who have grown up and crowed.
A barred Plymouth rock cockerel/rooster over a RIR hen, will produce what we call a speckeled rock chick, these can not be sex linked as the cockerel does not have the gene to cause a sex link, this lies with the barred female, and RIR chicks are not sex linked when pure, they there for can not be sexed linked when crossed. this is also a cross I have breed many times, I have also found this cross difficult to get exactly right with less than half the chicks being with in the Speckeled rock specs.
Also crossing a black star with a black star, will not nessaserily give you a black rock chick, this is to do with recessive and dominant genes within the parent birds. it is my understanding however that the Black rock breed with a black rock by the one company able to sell these, will infact result in a black rock chick as the genetics are monitored closer and a better understanding of the genes are known.
in my personal experience, when using either barred parent, all chicks will have some degree of barred pattern with in the feathers. our barred boy with our hybrid laying hens Nova brown, have resulted in 5/6 chicks being born yellow and growing to be white with a barred pattern, all most the effect of reverse barring, like a negative of a photo. I am lead to believe this is because the nova in it's self is a cross and when crossing again will produce a yellow chick (usually). a similar result was found with a barred hen under our RIR X cockerel, but in this instance 5/6 chicks were born black with or wit out the spot on it's head, growing to be sex linked, the yellow chicks usually end up as they do in the above cross. and are not sex linked.

this is all breed from personal experience and monitored due to the very conflicting information found on the internet.
I am currently attempting to find out the results of a cuckoo Maran crossed with the RIR, too see if I get similar results, as Maran chicks are also sex linked, with the boys being lighter feathered than the females. i'm expecting similar results but am excited to find out.
all my birds are kept free range and when not in the "Breeding quarters" (where breeding can be contolled and monitored) I have many breeds running together, including the cuckoo Maran, BPR, specked Orpington, aracunna,milfleur pekin bantum, silver campine, and various crossed breeds from the above. once in the breeding quarters, I collect the eggs for the desired cross 5 days after first mating is witnessed, as it takes 3 days for the hens egg fertilised that day to actually be laid, I wait a further 2 days to ensure no other cross could be possible within these eggs.

Back
Top Bottom