Barred Rock rooster x black australorp

I have four 11 day old chicks from an Australorp Rooster and Barred Rock hen. You talked about a white spot on top of the male heads. Is that when they're this young?

Nope, you'll get sex link chicks
smile.png
. Males will have a white/cream spot on their head and feather out barred. Females will have solid black heads and feather out solid black.
I had 4 hatch from Australorp rooster and BR hen. All 4 look just like the rooster , so they all should have been pullets. 2 are Cockerels!

I had 4 hatch from Australorp rooster and BR hen. All 4 look just like the rooster , so they all should have been pullets. 2 are Cockerels!
I'm confused about the same thing... We had 8 hatch over a 3 week period from then end of June to mid-July (the mother hen was broody, so we just let her do her thing)... We lost 2 because they weren't strong enough and the rooster killed 1 (black)... Anyways, we have 3 barred and 2 black... The oldest is black and to me is starting to look like a rooster because there are 2 longer tail feathers... Totally confused!

Australorps are one breed I've never had. I like more color in my birds and have never been drawn to the solid black
idunno.gif
I have nothing against them, I believe they're wonderful birds, but I like the visual variety. Eye candy is part of my birds' purposes in life! If you aren't pretty, you don't stay here long.

Back
Top Bottom