Barred Rock Rooster

cluck love

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Northeast - very rural
This afternoon we integrated a 24 week old Barred Rock rooster to our existing 4 RIR hens that are 16 weeks old. We got him from a neighbor who had a RIR rooster and a Barred Rock rooster. I was told that the Barred Rock was not aggressive and liked to be picked up. The RIR rooster bullied the Barred Rock rooster quite a bit and was described as pretty aggressive. The Barred Rock is missing quite a few feathers from his tail caused by the aggressive RIR rooster. So far he has not bothered the RIR hens at all. In fact, a couple of the hens have pecked him and he just stood his ground and then jumped straight up to shew the hen away. They have only been together for a few hours. Now they are all in the coop settling in for the night. So far so good. Anyone have experience with a Barred Rock rooster with RIR hens?

1090583419_Dj7bB-M.jpg

1090582037_E73yg-M.jpg

Last edited:
I have two BR roos, one 3-yr.-old and one 1-yr. old. I don't have any other breeds of hens, but I can't believe a BR roo would let another roo pick at him very long. Your RIR is probably trying to let the "newbie" know who's dominate. More that likely they will work it out on their own. My 1-yr.-old roo was placed in with the older one along with some young pullets, he has begun to challenge the older roo some, but is not willing stand up to him yet. Like I say, they will work it out. A few of your girls may begin to accept your new roo as a mate.

I have RIR's that are almost 8 months old and 2 BR roos that are 22 weeks old. At first the reds picked on them alot but now that the biggest I think he may be a little older than the other, Lindy has finally grown up they are much nicer to him. I have a dominate hen that will not let him mate with her and if she is near by when he tries to mate one of the others she will knock him off. Thet are all in the same coop only Lindy gets top spot on the roost and poor Penguin has to sleep on the second rung with his little girl Sweet Pea.

Last edited:
I have never had a barred rock before , but they sure are beautiful. Im sure the birds will work it out, but I was wondering, doesn't a barred rock mixed with rir make some sort of sex link chicks?

Thanks for the info on that. Sorry its off your topic though, but is you roo getting settled in fine with your hens?

The BR roo is very nice to the RIR hens, so far. They have been pecking at him a little bit and that is most likely a dominance issue as clayhill mentioned in a reply to this thread. He is a newbie.
Maybe that is the origin of the term "Pecking order". LOL

Back
Top Bottom