Barred Rock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our BRs, Barbara and Monica, posed by the water cooler for their photo, prior to returning to relandscaping the flower bed. . .
The Adventures of Barbara at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=253158

12082_barbmonwatercooler.jpg

Quote:
I think it just depends on the bird IMHO. I'm not sure about the other breeds, but at one point we had 11 barred rock roos (because we got 10 extra from the hatchery) and each one was different. We had one that was very mean to the other chickens and another that tried to attack my husband constantly. The one we kept was the one that would follow me around and sit in my lap. The other 7 were nice roos though and I still miss them. Guess it's just luck of the draw. Good Luck with your roo!

I have 2 barred rocks. They both are "grandchickens", meaning they live at my house, but are owned by grandkids. I ordered some assorted pullets for the grands to pick for pets. One of the BR is a cockerel, and he is a very, very nice bird. He is actually coming when called and follows people around begging to be picked up. My 4 y.o grandson named him Cupcake when he picked him out of the fluff pile. The pullet belongs to a 7 y.o grandson and is named Squirmy-Wormy. She is a bit shyer. We are keeping our fingers crossed that Cupcake lives up to his name and not his gender! If I can, I will have Cupcake for my main rooster over the "grand"flock.

34669_if_you_get_closer_you_get_more_chips.jpg

I think the more you hold your BRs and give them attention, the sweeter they become. Speckles won over my husband to the point that he had a regular routine of walking around lifting rocks and digging the compost pile so she could find grubs and other goodies!

I have 8 BRs and they are pretty friendly. I have found my NHR to be the more aggressive of the bunch.

Henny Penny, calm while being tortured by a 2 year old:
beahenny.jpg

I like to pick mine up. Ou of all my hens, my 3 BR are the most curious. While lately they keep their distance from me, they are the first to peck the back door when they're hot and want cold water, first out of the coop in the morning, and when I do pick them up they chirp the sweetest.

My BRs Frick and Frack - as in "Fricken Chicken" (little crazy) and Frack in Black (black beak, how I tell them apart). They are super sweet girls!!!

51084_frackroo1.jpg

51084_frackroo.jpg

51084_stinkeye.jpg

Barred Rocks??!!!

You mean people actually still keep those? LOL
hide.gif

As my username states, I have a yard full of "rocks"...

Right now I have 20 Barred rocks that are about 15 weeks old that I hatched from eggs from a SQ breeder. I really want the "old fashioned, typey BRs" here. Here are a few pix. The last couple are of a cockerel that I am considering showing in October if his legs will "yellow up" a little more

25882_cimg1934.jpg

25882_cimg1935.jpg

(excuse the Columbian rocks that snuck into this one)

25882_cimg1936.jpg

25882_cimg1939.jpg

25882_cimg1938.jpg

25882_cimg1940.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom