Barred Rock Won't Open Her Eyes!

Chicken Hugger!

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Northwest Ohio
I have a barred rock hen that has been squinting lately and I really didn't think much of it until yesterday when she wouldn't open them at all. She will open them a little bit when she has to (when she walks around, drinks, eats etc.) but other than that she just sits around with her eyes closed. And she will turn her head to listen so I have no idea what is up with her. She is separated from the rest of the flock now. Any help would be awesome!

Maybe she is daydreaming
roll.png

How old is she? I had a 7 week old BR keep her eyes closed the entire time she was sick with coccidiosis. As soon as she was recovered they opened and like it had never happened. Not to say yours has cocci, but I have been wondering if some chickens just keep their eyes closed when they are not feeling well. Sorry I am not much of a help.

She is about a year old. We got them from a lady and she said that she started them on medicated feed and wormed them not too long before we got them. The thing that gets me is that she is normally pretty spunky and runs away when you try to catch he and now I can walk right up and grab her without a fuss. I did have her in the house and when I took her back outside she opened her eyes and jumped out of my arms and ran to the gate of her flock so I let her in and she went right to the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom