Barred Rocks at 9 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurenM23, Aug 11, 2010.

1. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Below are photos of my 3 BRs and 1 who has been deemed a Black Sex Link pullet by a gentleman from USDA and another from Penn State. I am thinking that I have one Roo here, as one of the BRs is definitely lighter and is developing a comb. The issue is that I began with a total of eight, four of which already had combs this size at 4-5 weeks and were even lighter. This one has kept me confused for some time and has just recently (in the last two weeks) had major comb development. I'm thinking he's still a roo, just slower to develop? Also, the feathering on the tail area of the "BSL" has me concerned. Is this a pullet??? From the info I was given, it sounds as if the black color means it is a pullet by default. The guy I bought these from had BRs and some RIRs (kept separate), but I think someone got mixed up creating my chick! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    the black sex link is a pullet and i think the br in question is too

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    my 9 week old BR roos have much larger combs and wattles so I am going to say pullet also my little roos are also crowing, but the lighter color on that one could indicated roo. Is it really that light or is the flash making it look lighter as sometimes my flash will make them look lighter than they actually are.

4. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    It is definitely lighter than the other two, but not so light as those who already had that size comb at 5 weeks. Maybe I have a faker...lol

5. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    the two brs in the back of the first photo are pullets, the one in the foreground next to the black one is a roo.

6. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    *sigh* The wait for more development continues. [​IMG] I've sent the photos back on to Penn State for further analysis. I actually thought I heard a crow the other day, but I couldn't tell if it was coming from my pen or from the farm behind ours. It was faint and I haven't heard it again. My heart stopped when I heard it, though!

7. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Quote:Bingo!

8. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Penn State says my lighter youngster is in fact a roo, as suspected. There is now question over the black one's status as a Black Sex Link! haha He now suspects that it has some Sumatra blood. Leave it to me to find some random mixed chick in the backwoods of VA![​IMG] Anyone have any ideas??? It really has a lot of iridescent green in the feathering.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  9. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Your black chicken looks like a black australorp pullet to me. Black sex links usually have some brown or gold around their necks, don't they?

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Your Black one is a girl. Two BR's in the back are girls. Lighter BR is your male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by