Barred Rocks at 9 weeks

LaurenM23

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
King George, VA
Below are photos of my 3 BRs and 1 who has been deemed a Black Sex Link pullet by a gentleman from USDA and another from Penn State. I am thinking that I have one Roo here, as one of the BRs is definitely lighter and is developing a comb. The issue is that I began with a total of eight, four of which already had combs this size at 4-5 weeks and were even lighter. This one has kept me confused for some time and has just recently (in the last two weeks) had major comb development. I'm thinking he's still a roo, just slower to develop? Also, the feathering on the tail area of the "BSL" has me concerned. Is this a pullet??? From the info I was given, it sounds as if the black color means it is a pullet by default. The guy I bought these from had BRs and some RIRs (kept separate), but I think someone got mixed up creating my chick! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

my 9 week old BR roos have much larger combs and wattles so I am going to say pullet also my little roos are also crowing, but the lighter color on that one could indicated roo. Is it really that light or is the flash making it look lighter as sometimes my flash will make them look lighter than they actually are.

It is definitely lighter than the other two, but not so light as those who already had that size comb at 5 weeks. Maybe I have a faker...lol

*sigh* The wait for more development continues.
th.gif
I've sent the photos back on to Penn State for further analysis. I actually thought I heard a crow the other day, but I couldn't tell if it was coming from my pen or from the farm behind ours. It was faint and I haven't heard it again. My heart stopped when I heard it, though!

Penn State says my lighter youngster is in fact a roo, as suspected. There is now question over the black one's status as a Black Sex Link! haha He now suspects that it has some Sumatra blood. Leave it to me to find some random mixed chick in the backwoods of VA!
idunno.gif
Anyone have any ideas??? It really has a lot of iridescent green in the feathering.

Last edited:
Your black chicken looks like a black australorp pullet to me. Black sex links usually have some brown or gold around their necks, don't they?

Back
Top Bottom