Barred Rocks vs Australorps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aShMaNv, Nov 20, 2014.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Built a new coop and run and am looking to breed a dual purpose breed for meat and egg production while also breeding toward sop. I have narrowed it down between barred rocks and australorps and was wanting to hear from anyone who has experience with the two, which one they prefer.

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    I have one young girl of each right now. They have not started laying yet so I can't help you there, but I can tell you my australorp is bigger by far! I am not sure if it is just MY barred rock, but she is actually kind of small compared to most of my birds.
    They are both friendly birds, but my australorp is a bit bossier and the barred rock a bit more shy.
    Overall, they are both great, beautiful birds and I think either one would be a good choice!
    Good Luck!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're just starting, I'd say get some of each and see which bird you like best. I've had breeds I've flat loved on paper, but when I got them....not so much. And a few breeds that have surprised me how much I enjoy them.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had both breeds over the years (still have Black Australorps), and while both are excellent breeds, I personally prefer the Australorps. While both breeds are generally docile, I have on rare occasion had an aggressive Barred Rock. I've never had an aggressive Australorp (of course there can always be an exception with any breed), and my children had an easier time making lap pets of our Australorps than they did our Barred Rocks. Both breeds are very cold hardy, but Australorps handle heat better. I raised both breeds in CA where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once), and while my Barred Rocks were panting and holding their wings outward, my Black Australorps were going about their business as normal. And most importantly for me, Australorps are a little better layers than Barred Rocks. I typically get 5 eggs (occasionally 6) per hen per week from my Black Australorps, but usually only got 3 eggs (sometimes 4) per hen per week from my Barred Rocks. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while I have never had that kind of production from mine (and likely never will), I have still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Barred Rocks are a great breed, but given the straight up comparisons, I think the Australorps are slightly superior, at least in meeting my personal criteria for a breed.

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I like them both but barred rocks are my favorite! But as you read everyone else has given you great advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by