Barred Rocks vs. Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bock, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I will be getting about 10 more chickens this coming spring. They will be mostly a laying flock, but just in case I ever want to hatch any eggs, I was wondering if I should get Buff Orpingtons or Barred (I know, I plan WAAYYY too far in advance [​IMG] ). I want a chicken that is friendly, okay in hot weather, and lays lots of large brown eggs. I just wanted to know what breed you guys prefer and why. [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had both breeds over the years. I prefer Barred Rocks. If I had to start all over again, I'd only have Barred Rocks and Black Stars. Barred Rocks handle the heat and humidity much better that Buff Orpingtons. The record heat we had this past summer proved it. Unfortunately I had to cull my younger Buff Orpington due to excessive heat stress even though I had taken extra measures to prevent it from happening. BR's seem to be more friendly and willingly hop up on my lap when sitting outside, 2 of my 4 do that. Mine are 3+ years old and regularly lay eggs. It seems they are in it for the long haul. I have one 5 year old Buff Orpington that will occasionally lay an egg and wont have anything to do with me. Years ago I had a couple of friendly BO pullets hop up onto my lap too, but were killed when a yellow rat snake got to them during the night. I managed to catch and kill the snake. Both breeds handled the record cold temps this past January with no problems. Personally, I think BR's are more hardy and very pretty as well. BO's are supposed to be broody and very good mothers. I've never had any of my BR's nor BO's go broody. However, I had a Black Star go broody...go figure. You have a tough choice...why not go 50/50, 60/40 etc...and have both. It would be a good experience for you. All my chickens are hatchery chickens, except my rooster. Hope this helps.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If you plan on selling any chicks, find out what sells best in your area. I personally like my BO, although now I have mostly B/B/S . Around here BR are more liked.... but I'm a rebel and have more rare breeds. [​IMG] My BO have always been puppy dog curious and followed me around the yard. My one hen Goldie taught my nephews about eggs and how friendly chickens can be. I loved hearing their chatter and purrs to me. many breeds can be good, friendly breeds.... chickens can have individual personalities. My BO are older in years, mostly 4 or so, they still lay eggs and are good old girls.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Buff Orps are more likely than Barred Rocks to go broody and stop laying for awhile. For laying consistency, I love my Rocks, but when Orps aren't broody, they are also good layers. I have a Buff Orp who is almost five years old who lays about three eggs a week still. She went broody her first and her second year, but not since. None of my Rocks, so far, have ever gone broody and the oldest is almost five.

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I have a couple Barred Rocks and a Buff Orpington, so my experience is limited, but I will say that my Barred Rocks pick on everyone. Just like the Rhode Island Reds. Of the two, my Buff Orpington is friendlier, and my Barred Rocks lay more consistently, though one of them is a very late bloomer.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks are not pushovers in the flock. I wouldn't say they pick on everyone-that is normal pecking order stuff. They are more dominant birds than some breeds and they stand their ground.

7. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you everyone! I have been researching the two breeds, and I think BR's would be the better choice. They seem to lay more eggs, I personally think they are prettier, and I have seen several websites that say the roos have much better personalities (not sure if that's true). I still will get a BO hen, but I will get two BR hens and a roo so I can separate them if I want chicks.

I don't think I will really sell the chicks, unless I have a broody or something. They will mostly be just to hatch out replacements or if we need more hens to produce eggs. Now I just hope I can find some at the feed store this spring. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I love both breeds, and have owned both. Personally i would chose a BO over the BR and it really boils down to color choice. You could always get half and half!

9. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I will be getting many different breeds. I will probably have 1or 2 BO hens, 2 BR hens, and a BR rooster. I am really just wondering in case I want to hatch more in the future and what breed of rooster is better to have around. I don't want two roosters together because I would have a bad hen to roo ration, they would probably fight, and two standard roosters plus my Bantam OEG rooster (in the bantam cage) would be super noisy. [​IMG]

10. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:A good way to pic a rooster and stock is for sexlinking. If you plan on raising your own replacement hens, build a flock of birds that you can tell the gender of when they are hatched!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by