Barring genetics

Thank you!

Here are my current flock members and parents to my chicks. Crele x White EE's gave me really interesting babies. The black hen is not from that mix and is a mystery mutt I hatched the year before from my past flock.

View attachment 2648993View attachment 2648994View attachment 2648995View attachment 2649009View attachment 2649010

They have barred segments on their wings but I have no idea if that's actual barring or if it's just their juvenile feather patterns. I managed to get one almost solid black chick. Their toe tips are about the only things not black on them.

View attachment 2649014View attachment 2649015View attachment 2649017View attachment 2649020
The second hen could be barred, but I’m not sure. The third hen does look barred to me. I don’t believe the chicks have any barring.
If you want to test whether those two hens are barred, then the best way to do so is by crossing them to a solid black rooster. If they’re barred, any cockerel chicks from that cross would be black barred. Barring is pretty obvious on black, so there wouldn’t be any confusion.

The second hen could be barred, but I’m not sure. The third hen does look barred to me. I don’t believe the chicks have any barring.
If you want to test whether those two hens are barred, then the best way to do so is by crossing them to a solid black rooster. If they’re barred, any cockerel chicks from that cross would be black barred. Barring is pretty obvious on black, so there wouldn’t be any confusion.

Thank you! On this picture, are the little stripeys on their feathers just a juvenile pattern? I guess if they were wild it would be meant for protecting them from up above from predators to blend in? I've never seen that stripe and break up of solids before in birds I've hatched, so I was wondering about it. I've never hatched from a laced bird either so I have no idea what to expect with lacing genetics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-114553~2.png
    Screenshot_20210504-114553~2.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
Thank you! On this picture, are the little stripeys on their feathers just a juvenile pattern? I guess if they were wild it would be meant for protecting them from up above from predators to blend in? I've never seen that stripe and break up of solids before in birds I've hatched, so I was wondering about it. I've never hatched from a laced bird either so I have no idea what to expect with lacing genetics.
That’s just juvenile feathering. Barring consists of wide white stripes.

Thank you!

Here are my current flock members and parents to my chicks. Crele x White EE's gave me really interesting babies. The black hen is not from that mix and is a mystery mutt I hatched the year before from my past flock.

View attachment 2648993View attachment 2648994View attachment 2648995View attachment 2649009View attachment 2649010

They have barred segments on their wings but I have no idea if that's actual barring or if it's just their juvenile feather patterns. I managed to get one almost solid black chick. Their toe tips are about the only things not black on them.

View attachment 2649014View attachment 2649015View attachment 2649017View attachment 2649020
The hen in image 3 looks to be the only one with barring :'( everyones really pretty though!

For the chicks that aren’t frizzled but look like the frizzled one, is there a way of telling who the father is by just looking at them? Will they resemble either cockerel when they grow up?

I don’t think I can assume any with a pea comb would be from my EE because my OE hens have pea combs. So they would pass that to the offspring. What about size? Since my frizzle cockerel is a bantam how big will his offspring be if the hens are standard size?

You will be able to tell some chicks of the Frizzled rooster:

--frizzled chicks
--barred chicks
--single comb chicks, unless your EE rooster also carries the not-pea gene
--feather-footed chicks if they come from a clean-legged hen
--black chicks if they come from a not-black hen
--any females that grow silver feathers (white instead of red/gold in the coloring.)

Of course, some of those require knowing who the mother is, or what gender the chick is. I cannot think of anything that will identify ALL of them, but just the frizzle and barring should help you find about 3/4 of them.

The size at hatch is determined by the size egg the chick grew inside of, but the mature size might be smaller if they have the bantam as their father, so yes you could look at that too.

Any chick that is pure for the pea comb gene does NOT have the frizzled rooster as father. Pure for pea comb usually makes the comb smaller, and heterozygous pea comb (split for pea/not-pea) usually produces a larger comb.

Last edited:
You will be able to tell some chicks of the Frizzled rooster:

--frizzled chicks
--barred chicks
--single comb chicks, unless your EE rooster also carries the not-pea gene
--feather-footed chicks if they come from a clean-legged hen
--black chicks if they come from a not-black hen
--any females that grow silver feathers (white instead of red/gold in the coloring.)

Of course, some of those require knowing who the mother is, or what gender the chick is. I cannot think of anything that will identify ALL of them, but just the frizzle and barring should help you find about 3/4 of them.

The size at hatch is determined by the size egg the chick grew inside of, but the mature size might be smaller if they have the bantam as their father, so yes you could look at that too.

Any chick that is pure for the pea comb gene does NOT have the frizzled rooster as father. Pure for pea comb usually makes the comb smaller, and heterozygous pea comb (split for pea/not-pea) usually produces a larger comb.
That is a lot of information to take in. I appreciate it so much. When I hatch my eggs I’ll keep track of who laid them. I can usually tell by color. Except for the OEs, all their eggs look too similar. The barring has been a dead giveaway in the chicks I’m hatching. I’ve hatched out more black chicks than expected because I didn’t realize he was the father. I thought it was my EE who was mating with most of the hens. This guy is sneaky though.

How would I know if my EE has the not-pea gene? Just by breeding him? He has a modified pea comb.

How would I know if my EE has the not-pea gene? Just by breeding him? He has a modified pea comb.
That "modified" pea comb probably means he has a not-pea gene.

Other than that, yes you would tell by breeding him. If he breeds the single comb hen, and produces single comb chicks, then you will know he has the not-pea gene.

That "modified" pea comb probably means he has a not-pea gene.

Other than that, yes you would tell by breeding him. If he breeds the single comb hen, and produces single comb chicks, then you will know he has the not-pea gene.
Alright. Thank you. I’ll have to do some pairing and hatching with these guys. I’ll be sure to keep a record of whose eggs i hatch once I get the breeding areas set.

Back
Top Bottom