Basement Chicken Coop

Smcferrin

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
I am considering bringing my backyard chickens into my basement, into a coop that will be built for super easy access for weekly cleaning. I'm considering this move because an individual in our community thinks they are the Zsar of the place, and only thier wishes matter.

Understanding some of the concerns there might be, I intend to do the following:

proper light- I intend to have sun lamps down there that mimic sunlight because not only would there be chickens, but I want to grow year round fruits and veggies and have started preparing..those sun lights actually put off a BEAUTIFUL bright cheery clean light that does feel good. I also plan on supplementing this light with stays in a collapsible run in the backyard so they can go out about 3 times a week for sun and grass. I believe this will be a safe enough situation in which the Zsar can't control

proper air ventilation /filtering / cleansing - As chickens. or any bird, puts off a lot of dust, it will be important to keep the air clean for not only them, but us living in. the home upstairs. my thoughts are to change the furnace filter monthly, use light fans and air purifiers in the basement in multiple locations as well as upstairs in the home

chickens poop a lot and it's stinky, but with weekly cleanings of the coop and putting the soiled pine shavings in the compost, there shouldn't be any smell.

what are your thoughts?

Are your chickens legal?

If they are, the Zsar-wannabe can go pound sand and your chickens can remain happy and healthy in the sun and fresh air outside.

If they are not, you will end up going to a GREAT deal of trouble and expense for a situation that is unlikely to work well.

Providing adequate ventilation in a basement is going to be extremely difficult. Not impossible, but extremely difficult. :(

Are your chickens legal?

If they are, the Zsar-wannabe can go pound sand and your chickens can remain happy and healthy in the sun and fresh air outside.

If they are not, you will end up going to a GREAT deal of trouble and expense for a situation that is unlikely to work well.

Providing adequate ventilation in a basement is going to be extremely difficult. Not impossible, but extremely difficult. :(
They are not currently, but they were..the Zsar sits on the board and likes to change the rules to their whim. There are 4 families that have them and all are being told to abate or face daily fines...I don't intend for them to live the rest of their life in the basement, but it's going to take me time to gather the support, documents, research, and certifications that we'll use to fight for our chickens. I can NOT let one person bully me and the rest of us in our community into being their puppet.

If your birds are not legal, you're not 'being bullied', you are in the wrong and have deluded yourself into some sort of 'fight the man' victim. I'm guessing you live in an hoa or an area in which poultry isn't permitted, there are conditions you signed up for when you moved there, you are legally and ethically required to abide by them.
If you don't like it, move.
Basement living is cruel to your birds, and unhealthy for you both.
If your neighborhood takes legal action against you, and they will eventually, you will have your birds taken, you fined or kicked out.
I'm sorry but that's the reality.

I am considering bringing my backyard chickens into my basement, into a coop that will be built for super easy access for weekly cleaning. I'm considering this move because an individual in our community thinks they are the Zsar of the place, and only thier wishes matter.

Understanding some of the concerns there might be, I intend to do the following:

proper light- I intend to have sun lamps down there that mimic sunlight because not only would there be chickens, but I want to grow year round fruits and veggies and have started preparing..those sun lights actually put off a BEAUTIFUL bright cheery clean light that does feel good. I also plan on supplementing this light with stays in a collapsible run in the backyard so they can go out about 3 times a week for sun and grass. I believe this will be a safe enough situation in which the Zsar can't control

proper air ventilation /filtering / cleansing - As chickens. or any bird, puts off a lot of dust, it will be important to keep the air clean for not only them, but us living in. the home upstairs. my thoughts are to change the furnace filter monthly, use light fans and air purifiers in the basement in multiple locations as well as upstairs in the home

chickens poop a lot and it's stinky, but with weekly cleanings of the coop and putting the soiled pine shavings in the compost, there shouldn't be any smell.

what are your thoughts?

what are your thoughts?
Basement living might seem doable, but you’ll grow to hate it. Not to mention that your chickens will hate it from the start and likely produce less. I have had my brooder in my home as I raise four little chicks, and I can’t wait to get them outside.
Now, you might be able to fight that new ruling. Especially if you had them while they were legal. Assuming that you’re chickens aren’t bothering anyone else(clean environment, no rooster, etc) and none of your neighbors file a complaint, you will very likely win.
I live in a suburban area with my hens and beloved pet rooster, and I have no problems with my neighbors. It took some communication, but my neighbors said they don’t mind the crowing. I also keep their coop and run clean to avoid odors.
My suggestion is to talk to your next door neighbors and if they aren’t complaining, fight the ruling at the next hoa(or whatever) meeting.

Basement living might seem doable, but you’ll grow to hate it. Not to mention that your chickens will hate it from the start and likely produce less. I have had my brooder in my home as I raise four little chicks, and I can’t wait to get them outside.
Now, you might be able to fight that new ruling. Especially if you had them while they were legal. Assuming that you’re chickens aren’t bothering anyone else(clean environment, no rooster, etc) and none of your neighbors file a complaint, you will very likely win.
I live in a suburban area with my hens and beloved pet rooster, and I have no problems with my neighbors. It took some communication, but my neighbors said they don’t mind the crowing. I also keep their coop and run clean to avoid odors.
My suggestion is to talk to your next door neighbors and if they aren’t complaining, fight the ruling at the next hoa(or whatever) meeting.
Thank you..Your suggestions and comments are helpful and I'll incorporate it into this journey :)

Indoor chicken living is hard. I've only ever brooded inside and it SUCKS. All the dust.. smell...etc. I've done several sets of chicks this way. Not fun. Hubby finally built me a big outdoor brooder so now I don't have to do it indoors. The whole situation sounds awful. I hate the city...to many laws and nosy neighbors..

Back
Top Bottom