Bathing chicken for mites

Okay. Got her on a heating blanket on low and covered her with a heated towel. I REALLY appreciate your comment--makes a lot of sense. Do you think she will move if she gets too warm? I do have her in the house and it has been 70-71 in the house with the wood stove.
Again, thank you.
Catherine
Hens (in fact all birds) use their Pope's Nose to produce oil that is used to dress and waterproof their feathers.

If you have a problem with mites and lice on your birds it is best to identify the species of parasite and use a treatment that interferes with that parasite's life cycle.

The Pope's Nose is the bulbous growth on the back side of your chicken that their tail feathers grow out of.

Watch your birds and you will observe them going to the oil gland with their beak, and spreading the oil around to all of their feathers.

Okay. Got her on a heating blanket on low and covered her with a heated towel. I REALLY appreciate your comment--makes a lot of sense. Do you think she will move if she gets too warm? I do have her in the house and it has been 70-71 in the house with the wood stove.
Again, thank you.
Catherine
Hens (in fact all birds) use their Pope's Nose to produce oil that is used to dress and waterproof their feathers.

If you have a problem with mites and lice on your birds it is best to identify the species of parasite and use a treatment that interferes with that parasite's life cycle.

The Pope's Nose is the bulbous growth on the back side of your chicken that their tail feathers grow out of.

Watch your birds and you will observe them going to the oil gland with their beak, and spreading the oil around to all of their feathers.

Well the hen died last night. I did use permithrin (sp) dust on her as well as ashes. I think the bath sent her over the edge, however, I also think it is likely she would have passed regardless. The reasons are:

She had not been well for a couple of weeks.
The mite load indicates another issue.
She smelled foul.
The turkeys were trying to kill her before I brought her in. I have seen this before where an animal will try to kill another sick one. Don't know what they are thinking but somehow I doubt altruism.

So while I feel badly about torturing her with a bath before she died, I think she would have died anyway.
Thanks for everyone's input.

So I was right
Yes, permethrin is what people should use. People need to stop believing that DE, wood ash, etc will treat mites and treat with something that's known to work. I know there is lots of conflicting info on the web, and often it takes lots of time to wade thru it, but do take the time and research it.

-Kathy

Well the hen died last night. I did use permithrin (sp) dust on her as well as ashes. I think the bath sent her over the edge, however, I also think it is likely she would have passed regardless. The reasons are:

She had not been well for a couple of weeks.
The mite load indicates another issue.
She smelled foul.
The turkeys were trying to kill her before I brought her in. I have seen this before where an animal will try to kill another sick one. Don't know what they are thinking but somehow I doubt altruism.

So while I feel badly about torturing her with a bath before she died, I think she would have died anyway.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif

Get yourself some 10% permethrin spray and treat the coop, perches, nesting boxes, and all of your birds. If it's too cold were you live, dust all of the birds with just permethrin powder instead of using the spray.

-Kathy

And try not to feel too bad about the bath... I only know about bathing being bad for sick birds because I lost one by doing the *exact* same thing.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom