Bathing chicken for mites

I'm here to say, the mites hit the road! Less than 24 hrs. later, not one was visible on my girls! Ya!!
I used permethrin spray. I had a decent day so, they were dry before it got cold again. Wow. It was easy & fast.
The girls were starting to drop eggs in the yard, and now...they are feeling better and laying in the boxes again.

I've had my AH-HA moment now!
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you all!
Laura
wee.gif

I have a couple questions:
1. Can you use ivermectin AND the permethrin? I don't have permethrin but I can buy some.
2. I want to put the ivermectin on her right away (it's all I have right now other than DE) and then bathe her in 3 days?

My flock has been dying off. They are old and it was expected. I don't plan to get more birds. So, now I am down to one. I don't want her to be alone because chickens don't like to be alone. Also, the ducks pick on her. I'm considering bringing her inside, at least for winter. For now, I put her in a warm room. It seems that she probably has the same mite infestation the other birds had. She's itchy but seems fine. I want to take care of it before it gets worse. I covered the area I put her in with DE for now. I have the ivermectin which seemed to help in the past, though only temporarily. I was thinking that I could put some ivermectin on her today. Then bathe her this weekend (so she's clean for being indoors) and then dust her and..... that's as far as I thought. Any ideas?

I have a couple questions:
1. Can you use ivermectin AND the permethrin? I don't have permethrin but I can buy some.
2. I want to put the ivermectin on her right away (it's all I have right now other than DE) and then bathe her in 3 days?

My flock has been dying off. They are old and it was expected. I don't plan to get more birds. So, now I am down to one. I don't want her to be alone because chickens don't like to be alone. Also, the ducks pick on her. I'm considering bringing her inside, at least for winter. For now, I put her in a warm room. It seems that she probably has the same mite infestation the other birds had. She's itchy but seems fine. I want to take care of it before it gets worse. I covered the area I put her in with DE for now. I have the ivermectin which seemed to help in the past, though only temporarily. I was thinking that I could put some ivermectin on her today. Then bathe her this weekend (so she's clean for being indoors) and then dust her and..... that's as far as I thought. Any ideas?
You can use both ivermectin and permethrin. if you decide to bathe her, be careful because bathing birds that are sick car kill them.

You can use both ivermectin and permethrin. if you decide to bathe her, be careful because bathing birds that are sick car kill them.
How much ivermectin do you put on her? I’ve tried it to no avail! I’ve tried the powder. I’ve bathed her 3 times in Dawn. These mites are relentless! My Rosie is an only lonely and lives in a dog crate inside the house and free ranges all day. Every other day I use the power washer on her pen. I can’t get how these things are so prevalent! They won’t die! After she is bathed she is so happy and purring for just a few days then it’s right back to the chewing and scratching! Not only that but they crawl on my face in my house!

Are they red roost mites or northern fowl mites?
I am not sure but I’ve had her for over 2 years and she never had mites the first year! Now I can’t get rid of them! She lives in a wire crate in my dining room at chicken sleeping time. During the day, she free ranges in my backyard. I have a small house with French doors on the back so I keep an eye on her all day. Her flock are 4 cats. Lol

I am not sure but I’ve had her for over 2 years and she never had mites the first year! Now I can’t get rid of them! She lives in a wire crate in my dining room at chicken sleeping time. During the day, she free ranges in my backyard. I have a small house with French doors on the back so I keep an eye on her all day. Her flock are 4 cats. Lol
I live in central Oklahoma if that makes any difference what kind of mites they are?

Can you post some pictures of them?
Lol. Currently I’m bathing my own self! But I will definitely do it next time one crawls on my face! But here is a photo of my Rosalita! I rescued her from the desert 50 miles south of Albuquerque. 2 years ago

Attachments

• 781A3A47-9BA0-405D-A7D0-32E21B8B7ABA.jpeg
    781A3A47-9BA0-405D-A7D0-32E21B8B7ABA.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom