Bathing Methods?

Soaking in epsom salt for a little while will help clean their butts.
But....you should probably find out what is causing the poopy butts to begin with.

I am noticing a pattern in the chicken bathing tutorials. "A splash of vinegar" or "a squirt of glycerin" or "soak for a while". No specifics, just pictures of chickens in 5-gallon buckets. I am also getting conflicting information on which tub should go first.

What works for you? How close to show do you bathe them?
They don't need to bath.

If you are talking about show birds, I really don't know nothing about the show requirements, so I guess that bathing is one of them.
But about standart BYC they realy don't need to.
Well yes of course we're talking about show birds. That's what this thread is dedicated to, not to mention the entire forum it's posted in.

Marans should be really easy to clean. A good first time bird.
I have used everything from large tupperwares, wheelbarrows, and cat litter boxes. Whatever you have works. One day I would like to have all of one kind probably large tupperwares though.

For a show box, it is a box that you take anything you may need.
• Nail Clippers
• Scissors
• Large Wash Clothes
• Safety Pins
• Zip ties
• Electrolyotes
• Pen
• Vetericyn
• Small bottle of shampoo just in case
And anything else you may need. For my cochins I also bring a brush to get any extra woodchips out, but Marans are tight feathered so you won't need one

Oh, yeah. I have one of those. It doubles as a seat, too. But why zip ties? As in leg bands?

I also found a comment on Poultry Show Central that I just can't get any info on. Has anyone heard of this?

Buttermilk
by Bobby
(Philpot, Kentucky)

This is my first time showing chickens but my uncle has shown them all his life and he takes a cloth and soaks it with butter milk and rubs down all feathers and then uses a sponge with butter milk and grabs feet then pulls down gently and wraps chicken in towel and transports to the show to be sure that all feathers are in place an wins in the top three.

I use it on my hair..I just use shampoo to get it out.
I am a fan of coconut oil for many things on myself..
Not sure if it would be too greasy on chicken feathers...thats why I said you could try it on a non show one.

Back
Top Bottom