Bathing Methods?

:th
*points at the white show chicken with mud caked feathers*
*gestures to the Gander that won't stop playing in the mud puddle*
*cries because feather legged bantam has dried poop stuck on her toenails*
*holds magnifying glass over wyandotte's feathers to show the tiny gnats that never stop bugging the birds*

Not to mention on top of getting all of your birds tested it's just like humans washing hands and taking showers regularly before going out in public, it keeps the risk of disease down, A LOT. Also it's a show, your birds need to look their best to off their best qualities. The judges are not going to pick up a filthy bird that doesn't even look like its breed or variety because it never had a bath! Not only is that completely gross but it's insanely inappropriate. These are show birds not battery hens! :barnie
If you are talking about show birds, I really don't know nothing about the show requirements, so I guess that bathing is one of them.
But about standart BYC they realy don't need to.

Oh, yeah. I have one of those. It doubles as a seat, too. But why zip ties? As in leg bands?

I also found a comment on Poultry Show Central that I just can't get any info on. Has anyone heard of this?

Buttermilk
by Bobby
(Philpot, Kentucky)

This is my first time showing chickens but my uncle has shown them all his life and he takes a cloth and soaks it with butter milk and rubs down all feathers and then uses a sponge with butter milk and grabs feet then pulls down gently and wraps chicken in towel and transports to the show to be sure that all feathers are in place an wins in the top three.
I have had cages that will not stay closed before, or some people will use them at bigger shows to make sure there birds are not stolen.
As for the buttermilk, personally I wouldn't do it. Stick with what you know works. It honestly sounds like an old wives tale to me. I have won many overall, and reserve grands at my county fair and at my first open show I received reserve champ asiatic. So I will stick with a proven method

FWIW I apply coconut oil to my hair and wrap it up in a bun and leave it for the day.
It takes a bit of SHAMPOO to get all the grease out, but my hair is left super soft.

Not sure if it would work on a chicken but you may want to try it on one that is NOT a show girl once.

Edit to fix my typo

Last edited:
FWIW I apply coconut oil to my hair and wrap it up in a bun and leave it for the day.
I takes a bit of shame to get all the grease out but my hair is left super soft.

Not sure if it would work on a chicken but you may want to try it on one that is NOT a show girl once.

I can try. How do you get it out? I can't bathe them again today, but I can use it for future reference.

That reminds me, I have some petroleum jelly w/ coconut stuff that I can try on the Combs.

I didn't think about coconut oil before. Hrm. So I took a bunch of pictures of my flock, I'll probably make a coop page so that way it's not spamming all of the threads. It's kinda aggravating though because one of my prettiest GLW has twisted toes... I'm calling her goldilocks.
One of my GLW was hatched with out a toe nail...Her name is Broken Toe...even though her toe is not really broken! lol

Last edited:
One go my GLW was hatched with out a toe nail...Her name is Broken Toe...even thought her toe is not really broken! lol
Lol! So I actually got really confused for about a day when I realized that two of my golden girls have twisted toes. I only thought it was one lol. They are officially the twisted sisters of the flock.

I've seen your bathing technique posted somewhere before, an article or thread I can't remember.... but this time I have the ability to BOOKMARK IT! :yesss: Hope your birds appreciate the 'spa treatment' :lol:
:yesss: The bookmark option is so cool isn't it!???
I just love it.

Back
Top Bottom