Bator suggestions Please

bayerchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 12, 2010
Tangipahoa Parish
We built a bator and hatched out 1/3 eggs but we had some problems when we went on lock down. We are interested in a good bator with fan and turner. I have read mixed reviews about the Hova bator and do not care for the foam which I read can crack. If I am going to spend several hundred dollars, I want a bator to last. I would prefer to stay under $500. Thanks so much!

I would buy a few Brinseas, a Sportsman, or a used GQF. A Sportsman is at the top of your price range, but if you can find a used one you are good to go.

I just received mine last week. Was easy to set up. Got it up and going within an hour. Up to temperature and humidity too. I have the Mini right now that i have eggs in and it's going great. Can't wait to use the new bator which I will be at the end of the month. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

I have a large homemade incubator that a guy gave me a few years ago. It has some 'temp problems but I have had 100% hatches in it.
Then for Christmas I got a Genesis Hova-Bator - I set 15 quail eggs and 11 hatched. 3 of my own chicken eggs 1 hatched and the other two were young pullet eggs so they weren't fertile. I had 9 chicken eggs from a BYC'er in my HB, threw out two, non-fertile. Other 7 are still going good. They're due Friday. Great incubator.

A few days ago my Brinsea Mini Advanced arrived ( finally ) I have yet to test it out but I have eggs coming this week.

I think you need either a Brinsea or a Sportsman.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck on your choice!
smile.png

Quote:
So I ordered it, I don't like to wait, lol. But I did use the facebook coupon code FBME10 which took off 10%. This covered my shipping! Thanks guys I will let you know how it goes. I hope it doesn't take long to come in!

It was built from plans found on BYC out of an ice chest. It has 2 fans from a computer and 1 lightbulb. The problem, I suspect was my hot water heater theromstat. It may have been my kids too, lol! After the first day on lockdown, we covered the top with a towel, and the temperature increased back to normal (Which for this bator was 100.2) But I really should not complain because I did have 1 of the 3 hatch. We were not sure if they would b/c this was the first time we tried and we were not sure of fertility. I guess that come this spring we will be hatching black leghorns and marans.

I was thinking of using the brinsea for days 1-18 and put them in the ice chest to hatch so I can add new eggs to the bator every week.

Back
Top Bottom