Bator to full?

Yeah! What's in that garden of yours? I bet you can grow long season stuff!

I wouldn't give that to the chicks, just put in some dirt from the garden. It looks to me that that lime grit stuff is for hens that are laying. Lime is basically calcium oxide.

I havent got acces to the US stuff.. Do you know of a way I can test it without killing one?

Tomatoes.

tomatoes.jpg

Watermelon (I dont know what is wrong with them)

watermelon.jpg

Spinish (lol, not even spel checker can fix that!)

spinish.jpg

Pumpkin

pumpken.jpg

Onion

onion.jpg

Carrots

carrots.jpg

Cabbage

cabage.jpg

Beetroot

beetroot.jpg

Lovely garden!

I had a thought about your broody hen. I agree with you, she looks a little bit squished with her tail like that. What if you turned the nesting bucket on its side? Then it wouldn't be as tall, but it would give her more room to get comfy? I suppose you could stop it from rolling by putting a stone under each side.

The one problem with doing that is....sometimes if you change anything about the nest, the broody hen gets cross and leaves the eggs.

Man, that's so nice, you have so few weeds in your veggies! I swear, blink during growing season and you can't find your own sprouts because weeds grew them over. It's ok in the summer but it rains so much new junk always takes over.

I wouldn't even test the lime with the chicks. Excess calcium is hard on the livers and kidneys of babies and will cause long term health effects you may not see for months.

Just a dish of the sandiest dirt off the ground would be best.

LOL, I didn't see your first answer. I read yesterday sand, I thought they were joking!

Just as well you said about the hen.. I got another bucket for her today.. One slightly bigger at the bottom.. I am waiting for it to get dark. I plan to trick her.. She wont be able to get of until it is light in the morning... By then hopefully her anger will be gone..

I will let you know how it goes. TY

This is a photo of the 5 gallon bucket nest I made. It is great for the Silkie Size chickens, I don't know if a large girl would be real comfortable in it this way either. I just took a small piece of thin wood and wired it across the bottom. I have had several girls use it to hatch out little ones .
BabySizzlesJuly06003.jpg

Hi, Mareloo,
I haven't checked on this thread in a while, so I just read everything and got caught up! You have some beautiful birds!!! They look very happy and healthy.

Congrats on your new babies - they are adorable. How is your latest hatch coming? Any more?

I love your garden!!! Just like Silkiechicken said, we have a real weed problem here in the spring. Also, the bugs can be a real pain. This spring I planted a garden and within 2 weeks there wasn't a plant left - we got an infestation of little white grasshopper-looking things and they ate every single plant!!!

When do you harvest? Can we all come for dinner?? LOL!!!

Let us know what's going on in your bators.

Lori

Jimnjay.. Every time you post something I first take a couple of seconds to look at your aviator.. Shake my head and carry on.. If you don't mind me asking... Are you sure that is a chicken? I mean, .. really, really sure.. Have you ever taken a good look under all those feathers (?) Have you ever tasted one?
big_smile.png
LOL.. Is that the silkies most is on about?

When I first started putting nest in I did consider your idea. The only reason why I didn't do it is because it is raining season here and I wanted to keep the nest as dry as possible. LOL, I did built little stands for the nest to stand on, so not to ever get wet, I might as well have done your idea.. I did made the broody a new nest yesterday and did got it right to trick her last night. Luckily she didn't abandon the nest this morning. She looks more comfortable. I didn't get a chance to take a pic today but I will tomorrow and post it for you. TY for your pic.

Please tell me about the stuff you got in the nest in your pic. I have seen it before in pictures here. Is it fine pieces of wood or paper?

Skeeter9... If I must ever get a infestation of little white grasshopper-looking things, my chickens will think they have died and gone to heaven! I give them controlled access to the garden and got no bug problems! They really don't do much damage and keep all pest away.. Win situation for all..

Harvest year round.. Eat, swap and give away, everyday out of the garden. At the end of the season or when I get overwhelmed I give to places here. Clear the garden completely out at the end of summer and start on all the winter stuff..

It will be my honor and pleasure to give any one of you ever in this country dinner! Guess what is on the menu..
big_smile.png

Silkiechicken.. We all fight weeds.. lol.. I have been wrecking my brain trying to figure out how I can teach my chickens to first go for them!

I don't know why I got such a big problem feeding my week olds dirt. I just cant get myself to do it.. I keep thinking.. After all this.. I am going to feed them dirt? It just feel so wrong! Will they die if I don't? What if I rather feed them "koring" I don't know what that is in English.. Here is a picture.. http://www.mieliestronk.com/koring.html

MissPrissy... Thank you.. We also love spinach! (me and the chickens!!!) It is winter there.. LOL, I nearly asked for a pic!

Mareloo, I did have a few photos of my garden from this past summer. Here are a couple photos

Cabbage (Don't look at the weeds)
gardencabbage.jpg

Harvested cabbage (with my kids for size)
harvest3-1.jpg

Green pepper
peppers.jpg

Tomatoes
salsa7.jpg

gianttomato.jpg

I also grew hot peppers, lettuces, beans, peas, potatoes, red cabbage, okra, herbs, etc . I love to garden!

Back
Top Bottom