Battery Hens?

Also- any thoughts on this subject would also be interesting to hear. How could you start an organization like that... and would it even be worth it- would the companies just buy new hens? Or perhaps would it be saving the hens from a short-lived life...?

You could start it by liaising with farmers, setting up a website, getting some press attention through farming magazines, and promoting it left, right and centre on the net. BYC would be the perfect place to find both adopters and regional co-ordinators.

The companies will just buy new hens. However, this would happen anyway as ex-batt rescues take in hens at the point of slaughter where they are about to be sent to the soup factory anyway.​

Quote:
On a side note - would you adopt me please?????? I'm sure I could lay an egg if that's all that's required!

Do you suppose the combs are laid over due to the housing in the battery? Kind of like what happens to whale in captivity with their dorsal fins? Just found that odd - the hens recently re-homed had the issue of floppy combs along with missing feathers.

Quote:
Apparently it's due to the heat in there - the combs expand to help lose heat. When they are in more normal condition, the combs return to a more natural size, feathers regrow and eggs get to free-range standard.

smile.png

I'm excited if this will come to be!

My life will have a meaning!!!! LOL
ya.gif

origami.bullets :

Also- any thoughts on this subject would also be interesting to hear. How could you start an organization like that... and would it even be worth it- would the companies just buy new hens? Or perhaps would it be saving the hens from a short-lived life...?

You could start it by liaising with farmers, setting up a website, getting some press attention through farming magazines, and promoting it left, right and centre on the net. BYC would be the perfect place to find both adopters and regional co-ordinators.

The companies will just buy new hens. However, this would happen anyway as ex-batt rescues take in hens at the point of slaughter where they are about to be sent to the soup factory anyway.​

I loved reading the UK website. I would be very happy to do something like this in the Northeastern region of our country!​

Quote:
On a side note - would you adopt me please?????? I'm sure I could lay an egg if that's all that's required!

lol.png
Absolutely! Come on over.
big_smile.png

No Nifty, he said that its too close to the lines of things like PETA, and he and his staff think it may be too controversial. Not too much of a disappointment, I understand and think it was nice of him to bring it up with his staff.

I also talked to BHWT, and got referred strait to Jane, the founder.
celebrate.gif

She was VERY nice... in fact I can pull up the email of what she said. I'll get that later. But she also brought up a valid point- that I don't have a facility and a major one, that I live alll the way in the middle of the ocean.

Anyways, I'll pull up her email...

Back
Top Bottom