Bay Area BYCers!

Hi everyone!

I posted this yesterday in the general forum, but was told that I might have more luck in this thread specifically for the SF Bay Area.

I'm posting here in the hope of getting some suggestions and directions for finding a new home for the abandoned domestic ducks at the pond in our neighborhood park.

Sadly, people have dumped several domestic ducks (Pekin, Muscovy, Swedish, crested ducks, and a few mixed breeds) among the wild mallards and Canada geese. We go to visit and feed those domestic ducks regularly, as they really cannot take care of themselves. Unfortunately, one got killed by a car last month, and a few nights ago, two others were killed by a predator. We are afraid that all of them will end up with the same fate sooner or later.

We feel very sorry for them being dumped there without any survival skills, and have grown very fond of their individual and lovable personalities; and they love us too! We gave them names, and I added a few pictures of some of our favorites (the trio: Vanilla the Muscovy drake, Pepper the Muscovy duck & Puffy the crested; another trio: Peacock the black Swedish, Marsh and Sago the Pekins).

We live in the California East Bay (between Oakland and San Jose), and have reached out to many local (and further away) organizations, farms, shelters and centers, asking if they are able to take them in and give them a safe home. So far, no luck; they are either at max capacity, or do not accept waterfowl from outside their county.

We are really at the end of our options and sincerely hope to find a safe and pleasant new home for these adorable creatures.

Looking forward to hearing some good suggestions from this great community here!

Attachments

• Vanilla.jpg
    Vanilla.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Pepper and Puffy.jpg
    Pepper and Puffy.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Peacock.jpg
    Peacock.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Marsh and Sago.jpg
    Marsh and Sago.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 2
Are you set up so that you could bring some home and then adopt them out through craigslist?
Thank you for your quick response!

We probably could hold a couple for a few days, but I'm a little bit skeptical about Craigslist. We tried Facebook groups too, but the only responses we got were from people who also post pictures of roasted ducks on their profiles! :( So that's a big no no for us.

Besides, we already own 2 ducks (Chippy & Olive) and 2 geese (Spice & Poppy Seed). They are in our backyard pen. I recently made a separate area, as we also have 2 temporary guests that we need to take care of for a while. It's a bit crowded at the moment, but as soon as the 2 guest ducks are out, we could use the same space to hold a few ducks for a short amount of time. But we really don't have much space. It is already too crowded right now, and they get on each other's nerves sometimes because of the lack of space.

Back
Top Bottom