Bay Area BYCers!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jeremy, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    What did y'all get?

You should have opened your order up so we could of had another chick pick up party! LOL! [​IMG]

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Unfortunately these weren't available in large numbers from this breeder. I'll let Kim tell you what we got. I don't want to spoil the surprise [​IMG]

Debi here is a pic of both a wheaten pullet and cockerel (look at the last pic in the first post). These birds are 1 month old but you get the idea. By the time they are 3-4 weeks it will be quite obvious which is which but I can tell already that three are darkening up considerably (plus the legs are thicker). Of course since these little guys aren't 3 weeks old yet it is possible that 1 or 2, of the one's I think are pullets, are not but I am keeping my fingers crossed that 2 of my five are girls!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=317669

3. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:Me too! [​IMG]
    I finally had time to read up on it & was hoping to find pics on John Blehm's site of sexed chicks... my 7 (got lucky & got some in the 'surplus chick' batch as well as my regular order) looked like 6 cockerels and a pullet one day, then the opposite the next, using the criteria for Salmon Faverolles; faster growing tan wing feathers for pullets, slower growing with black tips for cockerels. Some people see a big difference in tails, but I don't see it yet in these guys.
    We may be down to 6 tomorrow [​IMG] I found one today looking like she'd been put away wet... fluff unkempt looking, and a whisper instead of a cheep, and half the size of the others. I gave her some vits & probiotic & love, & put her back in the warm brooder. The size difference is what makes me think she won't make it.
    DS has pics on his camera.... hopefully tomorrow he'll load them for me.
    Any tips on sexing a silver AM, or partridge Chantecler?
    Have a good weekend all!

(I think it was this thread, but in case it wasn't.... a gentleman in Clearlake Oaks needs to rehome 10+ Emus, free, now. His wife just passed away. Let me know if you want contact info)

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:Unfortunately these weren't available in large numbers from this breeder. I'll let Kim tell you what we got. I don't want to spoil the surprise [​IMG]

Debi here is a pic of both a wheaten pullet and cockerel (look at the last pic in the first post). These birds are 1 month old but you get the idea. By the time they are 3-4 weeks it will be quite obvious which is which but I can tell already that three are darkening up considerably (plus the legs are thicker). Of course since these little guys aren't 3 weeks old yet it is possible that 1 or 2, of the one's I think are pullets, are not but I am keeping my fingers crossed that 2 of my five are girls!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=317669

Thanks, Sunny. The two little LAVs I got are soooo tiny next to the others, it seems impossible to imagine that they will be old enough shortly to tell what sex they are! I will start looking carefully at the two wheatons next week and see if I can tell if either is getting darker feathering.
    Dawn

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just set 7 of the 10 eggs I got from Jeremy (for the Easter Hatch). I gave the other 3 to a good friend also as addicted to hatching as am I.

Now, if she hatches more pullets than I do, I'll be ticked off. (Not really!) But I will pout.

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I'm at day 10 of my incubator test batch. I just candled for the first time. I have a really mixed bunch of eggs in there (and under the two broody Barnies) and from what I can tell, only two eggs are not developing in the bator, and for sure, 1 of 3 is developing under the Barnies. I can't really see anything in the 4 dark eggs, but one looks like more light is penetrating, which I take to be a bad sign. I used a 180 lumen flashlight. It was the brightest thing I could find at the hardware store, but nowhere near as bright as the one used in the candling sticky thread. Nothing smells bad, so I guess I'll wait it out.

Are there any tell-tale signs that would signal immediate removal of an egg? I think two eggs had blood rings, to my untrained eyes. What can happen if I leave them in a couple more days?

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Been home maybe an hour.

Prom night for my two oldest grand daughters. I still haven't found our cameras. Probably in storage. Forgot to take some with my phone! Bad grandma!

This was a bitter sweet night. I always take the pics for these kind of things for my oldest daughter's kids. This year I had tp go it alone. Bill was my prop man and got kids together and organized, so the pics went smooth. He wasn't there to sit back with me after they left and tell me how beautiful Tina and Monica were. Wasn't there to joke with the boys and pick on the girls. Only had 13 of them this year. Last year my grandson was still in school, so we had 25 or more of them lined up. That huge limo was amazing. I drove limos for some extra money years ago and nothing looked like this one. LOL They all looked so nice and oldest grand daughter decided last minute to tell my daughter that they were all going to her house after the prom. Yep! Grandma left. LOL My daughter already had supplies for afterwards anyway. Smart like her momma. hehe

Oh and I taught my oldest grand daughter the art of duct tape usage! LOL She said "WOW! GRANDMA! This really does work!"

OK, so our secret order between myself and Sunny is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yawn!!! We'll tell ya tomorrow

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Blood rings should be fine. I learned NOT to toss them. Left one once for another week and is was moving all over the place. A couple of other I couldn't tell because they were in AM and BCM eggs. Found them after day 25 when I checked to see what happened in there and no seepage or anything.

9. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Kim, such a tease! [​IMG]

eta - thanks for the reply on the eggs. most of mine are either Am or Marans/Penedesencas/Barnevelders. I got a mixed dozen from a lady in Sebastopol. No telling what I'll get from that batch. Plus, there are a few RIR and Orp eggs. I guess I'll wait and see on most of them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    All I have in lockdown this time are BCM, so since hatch day is tomorrow we'll see how they did. I'm on a mission refreshing my BCM flocks and building one new line flock.

The way things are going I may not see a AM egg till next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by