Bay Area BYCers!

Jeremy! Sounds like you and Carlos have been busy! Good to see you back on the thread. I'm with Kim, my garden is spotty this year but I did get a great crop of Blueberries and Boysenberries! YUM!

Sandy, busy is an understatement. LOL.

I'll be working less soon, but only in one sense of the word. My 9-5 job is going to be greatly reduced starting next month. But I'm starting school again in August and will be selling eggs, plant starts, etc. at farmer's markets as well as teaching urban farming to middle school students this semester. Top that off with Carlos running 4 political campaigns here in Oakland and we're both very busy. We both spend whatever remaining free time we have tending the gardens and caring for the chickens.

I literally just haven't had time to hatch anything this year, which I'm bummed about. I'm getting Orpington chicks shipped in this fall from 2 different sources and I should be getting at least a juvenile pair of Mottled Orpingtons as well. I also plan on hatching Gold Laced and Buff Laced Polish bantams too, which I'm really excited about!!! SO if I can make it through the summer my need for chicks will be satisfied.
smile.png

Blueberries and Boysenberries sound delicious! We never have had much luck with blueberries here, either it's been too cold or the chickens get to the before we do...

I won't be coming to the chicken party this weekend, a good friend of mine is flying in from Boston and I've already committed time to her, I hope everyone who does go though has a good time.

Hello fellow Bay Area chicken people! I'm hoping to be a urban chicken farmer here in Richmond/El Sobrante.
I'm in the process of building my very first chicken coop in hopes of having my very first chicken flock. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? I'm converting a 6x6x4ft high chain link dog kennel into a chicken coop.

Anyone near me have some young pullet hens for sale? I'm looking for moderate to high egg production (medium eggs OK, larger preferred).

I was suggested Rhode Island reds by my grandfather but I'm open to suggestions. Ideally i would like to have 6-7 consistent, young egg layers, no roosters (cannot have them, not do i want one)
Egg color is irrelevant to me.

Also, i have an American bulldog, 3 yr/old who has never seen a chicken in his life. Should i be worried about introductions? Anyone have experience with leptosporosis issues between chickens and dogs?

All help is welcome!
Thanks in advance.
Hi KMilani..

No real advice for you because I'm a newbie too...but jsut wanted to say hi because I'm also in the Richmond/El Sobrante area. We're practically neighbors!

--Julie

Hi KMilani..

No real advice for you because I'm a newbie too...but jsut wanted to say hi because I'm also in the Richmond/El Sobrante area. We're practically neighbors!

--Julie
One more thing...there are two local feed stores that sell chicks/pullets. El Granero in San Pablo (I was just there the other days and they had a lot of chicks, but only bantams at that moment..mostly...polishes & frizzles) and El Sobrante Feed & Supply on Appian Way. Both make an effort to have some of the chicks sexed...just ask. They also have a lot of the supplies you might need

--Julie

One more thing...there are two local feed stores that sell chicks/pullets. El Granero in San Pablo (I was just there the other days and they had a lot of chicks, but only bantams at that moment..mostly...polishes & frizzles) and El Sobrante Feed & Supply on Appian Way. Both make an effort to have some of the chicks sexed...just ask. They also have a lot of the supplies you might need

--Julie

Oh, oh!!! How long ago did they have Polish bantams?

Last edited:
Hi Jeremy,

Good to hear from you and all the updates.

Will there be plans for another meet up this year, perhaps in the Fall?

The Heirloom Festival in Santa Rosa is in September.

Gonna be a good show and I have heard that the judge is very good.

Walty
I've heard that, too!
smile.png
We had fun last year and are looking forward to this year! We are planning on camping or staying in the cabins at the Petaluma KOA. We would love to have other chicken folk join us!

Hello fellow Bay Area chicken people! I'm hoping to be a urban chicken farmer here in Richmond/El Sobrante.
I'm in the process of building my very first chicken coop in hopes of having my very first chicken flock. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? I'm converting a 6x6x4ft high chain link dog kennel into a chicken coop.

Anyone near me have some young pullet hens for sale? I'm looking for moderate to high egg production (medium eggs OK, larger preferred).

I was suggested Rhode Island reds by my grandfather but I'm open to suggestions. Ideally i would like to have 6-7 consistent, young egg layers, no roosters (cannot have them, not do i want one)
Egg color is irrelevant to me.

Also, i have an American bulldog, 3 yr/old who has never seen a chicken in his life. Should i be worried about introductions? Anyone have experience with leptosporosis issues between chickens and dogs?

All help is welcome!
Thanks in advance.
Welcome!! I'm new to chickens so don't have much experience to share but wanted to say hi! Make sure to check out the Northern California thread as well! - Megan

Back
Top Bottom