Bay Area BYCers!

Just 2 quick questions for you experts....
1. (from a young fan of chickens) When do they stop peeping and start clucking? (I assume it is when they hit chicken-puberty, but how old is that?)
2. My 4 are about 2 months old now, and they are happily "flying" (sort of) across their yard. If they really wanted to they might be able to get over the fence...if they aimed just right! When should I clip a wing? I don't want to traumatize them any more than necessary...l

Thanks for your advice!

Dave

Just 2 quick questions for you experts....
1. (from a young fan of chickens) When do they stop peeping and start clucking? (I assume it is when they hit chicken-puberty, but how old is that?)
2. My 4 are about 2 months old now, and they are happily "flying" (sort of) across their yard. If they really wanted to they might be able to get over the fence...if they aimed just right! When should I clip a wing? I don't want to traumatize them any more than necessary...l

Thanks for your advice!

Dave

Dave,

I'd say they start sounding more like "grown ups" around 4 to 5ish months old, depending on the breed. By the time they start laying they'll definitely have found their voices!
tongue.png

As far as wing clipping goes, I typically don't clip the wings on my birds at all. If they have everything they need (fresh water, plenty of food, a safe place to avoid predators) they should stay close to home a.k.a their coop.

I called Pollinate Farm and Garden in Oakland this morning about their Scratch and Peck feed. Yes, they have S&P, but layer only, 25 and 40 pound bags. They also have Modesto Mills Feed and Star Mills Feed.

So far, they do not have chicks for sale, although she said about 6 people have asked her.

They just opened yesterday, Wednesday, March 20.
The store is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
frow.gif

Daphne, I can't wait to go and check it out!!! It's too bad it's closed tomorrow and Tuesday. I definitely will stop by and then give everyone my thoughts!

I'm just glad we have another local feed store in Oakland, maybe this means I won't have to drive for 30-45 minutes 1 way for good feed!
fl.gif
clap.gif

Hi folks!

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere, of which bay area cities are chicken friendly?

I know you aren't necessarily looking in Oakland, but we're fowl friendly here! There's no set limit on the number of birds you can have as long as you abide by a few (reasonable-ish) rules. I think there is a user compiled list of chook-friendly cities somewhere here on BYC though... maybe under the learning center tab?

Hello Jeremy,

I am having difficulty with my subscription to your thread. I signed in 3 different times, and regardless of what I do, I am not able to get the "immediate" notification. It is not letting me get out of the " weekly digest" which is not working either.In order to see the thread, every time I have to go into my profile. I wonder if you could help me as the,Thread Starter? if not, how should I go about correcting it. Yes, I am a member of couple other threads, where I have not had this problem.

Thank you,
Lual

Lual,

I'm sorry, I don't know why you wouldn't be getting subscription updates... the "new" BYC can sometimes still be difficult to understand/navigate at times. Have you emailed an admin person or BYC Support? I wish I could do more! Good luck!

Lual,

I'm sorry, I don't know why you wouldn't be getting subscription updates... the "new" BYC can sometimes still be difficult to understand/navigate at times. Have you emailed an admin person or BYC Support? I wish I could do more! Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, Jeremy. I emailed BYC Support; unfortunately did not receive an answer. I sort of solved the problem by creating direct contact to your thread via the help of the, navigation tool bar.
Lual

Is there anyone in the Oakland/Berkeley area selling 1-3 day old chicks? Our broody hen only hatched 2 out of 12 eggs and we want to slip a few more chicks under her before she gives up. We're not picky about breeds.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
I'm in Los altos hills and I've got a flock of 6 laying hens (2 polish, light brahma, SLW, ameraucana and a little silkie). Anyways, does anyone near Los altos or in half moon bay have a silkie hen they're selling or looking for a suitable home for? My little silkie could use the company as she gets picked on. I would really appreciate some leads.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom