Bay Area BYCers!

I tried Craigslist but so far I've only been met with hostility.
People explaining that male chicks grow up to be to roosters, as if that was something I want aware of. Others telling me that I can't keep roosters, which I'm also aware of, and I'm clearly not planning on keeping them since I've got an ad posted looking for homes for them.... the whole thing is stressing me out and I haven't even been able to enjoy the chicks I actually DID purchase :/

I feel your pain and I think it's nuts. Common practice or not, this is not what you signed up for at all. That said chicks are cute. Good luck with the process of rehoming the boys. Something you shouldn't have to deal with in my opinion, but alas... you do. Lame. Sorry.

Last edited:
@AnyoneCA you should contact the East Bay Vivarium, maybe you can donate your excess cockerels to be used as food for the reptiles there? Or maybe they could point you in the direction of someone who could take them as a food source. Just a thought ... ... ...

Last edited:
It's a real bummer
sad.png
and i don't really have space for them since i wasn't expecting 11 extra chicks. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

I just hatch out some chicks and I have a huge garage brooder. If you can't find homes for them and can bring them to the east bay I'll take them.

Deborah

Thanks for the suggestions! I was actually thinking about calling the east bay vivarium but I found a feed store that would take them for me. Such a huge relief.

Hi all I'm Amy I just came across this link for bay area BYC''ers. I'm in the east bay and looking to dart back at building up a flock. We started last spring and it is a good lesson. We have one Silkie roo left with a no crow collar and a salmon faverolle hen. We wound up getting a ton of roosters last year as chicks and we had to rehome all of them!! so back to the drawing board

Hi all I'm Amy I just came across this link for bay area BYC''ers. I'm in the east bay and looking to dart back at building up a flock. We started last spring and it is a good lesson. We have one Silkie roo left with a no crow collar and a salmon faverolle hen. We wound up getting a ton of roosters last year as chicks and we had to rehome all of them!! so back to the drawing board
Hi @mamapalma , glad you found us!
welcome-byc.gif

I breed bantam Orpingtons, in Blue, Black, Splash, Chocolate, and Mauve. I'm collecting eggs right now to start hatching, and due to the nature of the Choc gene I will have day old pullets available in both Chocolate and Mauve.

Also... how did you get your rooster to wear his no crow collar? I bought one for my roo, and he acted like he was having a seizure when I put it on him. He started flapping around madly, and then just threw himself on the ground and refused to move. I took it off of him because I thought he might harm himself. Not the best experience...

Wow bantam orpingtons that's awesome! The Silkie is the sweetest calmest little guy. Horrible protector. With the collar he looked like he was seizing too and I thought maybe running out of air but he was fine. He flailed for 5 minutes then gave up. It loosens and he goes back to usual so honestly not a very good solution.

Back
Top Bottom