Bay Area BYCers!

SPRING FLING .... this is coordinated by Dr. Jessica Baldwin, the chicken vet at Analy Vet Hospital in Sebastopol; more info will be coming ..

When: April 27th
Where: Shone Farm of the SRJC
How much: FREE

Time: 10AM - 2pm (ish)

Confirmed speakers/things:
1)Dr Pitesky from the CDFA who will speak about a new disease being seen in CA
(infectious bursal disease) OR something else interesting...
2) Dr Asli Mete from CAHFS who will demonstrate a necropsy or two. CAHFS is our
wonderful state lab that you all should be aware of...
3) Dr Dan will be giving a tour of the Shone Farm poultry house(s)
4) Pot luck lunch 12noon-1pm
5) White chicken gift exchange 2pm
6) I am going to twist Dr Dan's arm to give his parasite talk again for any of
you who missed it at Frizelle-enos.

Dr Dan wants to have a contest for eggs. Start saving eggs!
Here are some categories:
1) Largest chicken egg (start saving those double yolkers!)
2) Darkest brown egg
3) Most spotty egg
4) Darkest olive egg
5) Prettiest blue egg
6) Smallest chicken egg (you know you saved those 'wind eggs' for something)

Penny has volunteered to organize the potluck table. Please bring food to share if you plan to eat food. I encourage you to BYO plates and utensils. Penny- can you do one of those potluck polls so people will know what others are bringing so we don't end up with 50 bags of doritos? Also we should get a few people to sign up for paper plates/sporks/napkins/cups.

This is a non profit teaching farm associated with the JC, so we cannot sell
things/make any money. We can potentially have a swap area for hatching eggs
and/or equipment/plants.

Jess
If you are interested in being a part of the potluck group, please contact Penny: Penny Dolan <[email protected]> so she will know what you will be bringing and have enough chairs, etc. set up for everyone.

Thanks

Howdy right back atcha! I finally had a minute and started thinking about chickens again! (No--Joe and ladies are all fine...I've just been busy.) We just finished a new barn and are putting in grapes next month! Things are buzzing up here!

Wow, I had to pop in and say how beautiful that barn is! It's so nice to see someone take the time to build an old style barn. I love it!

Looking for Welsummers near the bay area...
Let me know if you've got female chicks!
Thanks!

jumpy.gif

Hi Bay Area folks,

Anyone raising quail? I'd love to check out your pens and see how you run things. I am in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Cheers,
CB

Hello, we have quail here in several set ups. Some are on wire in word cages, with a sand box and hiding box that cover about 1/2 the cage so they have places to rest their feet. Some are in converted rabbit cages wit sand boxes and hiding boxes, and some are in 2 level coops top wire with reg boxes and bottom deep litter ( I clean it ever once in a while and cage the whole thing about every 6 months. I use shavings or pellets for litter but they throw sand everywhere so they get that too.

Quail really prefer sun and weather so they are outside with covered tops whenever possible. I hand collect eggs and sometimes they will jump out and get all excited about new dirt to bath in, but I have never had one get away.

The key to quail is introductions and male/female ratios.

This is assuming you mean coturnix quails. Buttons are a tootally different story.

What breed are these 2 chickens? I lost a couple this week to coyotes so was desperate to get some more. I found them on Craigslist. They're incredibly skittish. They look a bit like a Araucanas but not quite.
Also looking for ideas for making the run a bit more interesting for them as it breaks my heart to lose them to coyotes so I'm bringing an end to the free-roaming. Chicken tunnels look fun. Does anyone have any experience of them? Do you make them yourself or can they be purchased?

What breed are these 2 chickens? I lost a couple this week to coyotes so was desperate to get some more. I found them on Craigslist. They're incredibly skittish. They look a bit like a Araucanas but not quite.
Also looking for ideas for making the run a bit more interesting for them as it breaks my heart to lose them to coyotes so I'm bringing an end to the free-roaming. Chicken tunnels look fun. Does anyone have any experience of them? Do you make them yourself or can they be purchased?
They look like my American Game hens. I have several of this type, but can't remember what they are specifically. I think these are the Johnny Jumpers? Not sure That's right, but I have those, Hatch, Grays...Can't remember all the lines.

I don't post much - but have learned a lot from those who do. I have to brag though...our first eggs ever arrived from our almost six month old SLW, LuLu. Just in time for Easter!

Tiny, but perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they will improve as she matures.

Now all we need to do is convince her to use the nesting box in the coop instead of the nest she's built herself in our yard... Any suggestions?

Congratulations! I still have 2-3 months left before my 4 start laying.
roll.png
Speaking of laying...what do you folks use in your nest boxes? I have some pine shavings in mine (to sort-of get them use to the idea) and the shavings are getting into everything!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom