Bay Area BYCers!

I made a lot of cooping mistakes in the first 10 years or so. I still have some coops that are only 4' tall. I did that trying to save money and didn't realize what it is like to crawl into a 4' high space. Everything is at least 7' tall now. The cages within the coops can and are used to raise young, but they can also be used for conditioning birds for show. I raise white leghorn bantams that I show and these small cages are a way to keep them clean. Some have wire bottoms and some have solid wood floors. All have removable perches. They are desingned for short time housing and most are 4' long, but you can't see them in that picture.

This is what I have to keep pristine clean during the winter show season....note all the things that can be dragged through the mud.

Walt
WOW! I have some of those 4ft and even lower coops. LOL Actually my mini hoop coops. I can move them if I really feel energetic, which I rarely do. I actually intend to raise some of them eventually. OK maybe. Just figured if I get to move with space for my birds, I'll have less to take down and move. But they work fine for the bantams and anything bigger gets yard time, so they work. The sand is pretty easy to clean and since wood is at a minimum I can spray the heck out of them too.

Now if I had property that I owned, I'd die for your setup. Heck I would anyway, but sure would be nice to be able to do what I want to do.

Has anyone else seen this article? Incredibly preachy and ridiculous, in my opinion. Could not believe the author likened people who process their own animals for food to violent criminals.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/opinio...hter-chickens-has-no-place-oakland?source=rss
Wow, just read that article. How silly. And in my opinion, it was poorly written with several logical leaps in philosphy that simply cannot be supported. They must have been in a hurry to finish it for some deadline...

Has anyone else seen this article? Incredibly preachy and ridiculous, in my opinion. Could not believe the author likened people who process their own animals for food to violent criminals.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/opinio...hter-chickens-has-no-place-oakland?source=rss

That's why the suburbs are pits of organized control freaks who prefer more government regulation than freedom. I'm sure the unhygienic practices of slaughter some cultures practice makes everyone else bear the brunt as always. That's nanny state mentality for you.

OK that artical is pretty funny. Killing your own food as animal cruelty.

Next the carrots are going to revolt....
Don't forget the tomatoes! There's so many of them too. Maybe they actually did years ago. "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!" Those things had whole cities running.

I swear, every time I see stuff like this I think of the movie "The Demolition Man!" I'll say "next they're gonna say we can't......" and then all of a sudden they're sayin it. So much for freedom of choice and stupid people thinking that humanly processing is more brutal than factories. Give me a break!

Wow, that guy teaches at Stanford?? My opinion of that university has just dropped a couple of points.

Did anyone go to the Chicken-stravaganza at Shone Farm (Forrestville)? A really neat facility and lots of good info presented by poultry experts. Hope it truly becomes an annual event.

Did anyone go to the Chicken-stravaganza at Shone Farm (Forrestville)? A really neat facility and lots of good info presented by poultry experts. Hope it truly becomes an annual event.
Hi,

I was there today ! Very well organized, fun stuff for kids to do, and the presentations were great and very relevant. Penny did a super job on the pot luck coordinating with lots of different kinds of food. The egg contest had lots of varieties in size, color.
I think there would have been more people coming if other local events weren't happening at the same time, i.e. Petaluma's Butter and Egg Parade, etc.
I hope it will be an annual event also,
love.gif

Pollinate Farm and Garden is having a "Grand Opening" next weekend, and Allison will be giving a presentation on chickens around 10:30 on Saturday. Check out their website for their two day old heritage chicks, ones not found in the usual feed stores...the chicks are vaccinated
wee.gif

Cross posting. I also posted on the California thread.

Going out to pick my daughter up in the Bay Area about 5 tonight. I have tons of eggs if anyone is interested. I have a bunch that after the winds were out in the yard together, so some could be pure Marans and then there's the chance of EEs OEs and maybe, maybe some that will lay lavender. No promises.

I also have some Blue and Lavender AM eggs for sale and about a dozen Silver Penciled rocks. Also Black Sumatras and Splash over Blue Sumatras.

So if anyone is interested and can get to me while I'm out there, pm me quick.

Back
Top Bottom