Bay Area BYCers!

Well Daisey the bold barred-rock apparently went looking for an adventure...and found one! No sign of violence; no feathers, blood or chewy-bits lying around. She's just gone. :-( ...and of course she was my favorite, as is all to often the case I suppose. The run hasn't been roofed in netting, but this will be my project for the weekend. Better late than never.

Anyway I have 2 questions for you eggsperts....

1. The other three in the flock are going on 12 weeks old. Can I introduce a new pullet or 2 without a lot of mayhem? Is there any particular way you suggest to introduce a new chicken to an existing flock?

...and 2. Does anyone know where I can find a pullet or 2 this time of year? Breed is not important although I prefer standard-size girls.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Dave

Well Daisey the bold barred-rock apparently went looking for an adventure...and found one! No sign of violence; no feathers, blood or chewy-bits lying around. She's just gone. :-( ...and of course she was my favorite, as is all to often the case I suppose. The run hasn't been roofed in netting, but this will be my project for the weekend. Better late than never.

1. The other three in the flock are going on 12 weeks old. Can I introduce a new pullet or 2 without a lot of mayhem? Is there any particular way you suggest to introduce a new chicken to an existing flock?

...and 2. Does anyone know where I can find a pullet or 2 this time of year? Breed is not important although I prefer standard-size girls.

Dave
it is best to keep them seperate a bit. where they can see each other but not touch. I try and do it a few weeks . That way you can get them used to each other and make sure no one is sick. Then put them in at dusk with each other. If that is not possible introduce them at dusk . I do it when they are going into the coop but not super dark so they can pick there roost spot and hopefully mesh that way.

Someone on CL was selling straight run but older chickens last week. Of course they are more pricy becuse of all the time and feed. juststruttin might have some too.

There is some guy in San Jose who has older sex links on occation and posts on CL , too. One of my um ee ( cl /ee crosses) looks like it is a girl by color, but she is only 5 weeks or so.

Dave

There's a place out in Livermore that has a whole range of ages of chickens and breeds. It's called Bay Area Farm & Feed at 101 N Greenville Rd. We bought our original flock from there and 2 more birds since. Warning though, the place doesn't Yelp well. People have reported seeing some birds in a bad way there. I didn't witness it myself so maybe they've cleaned up their act.

There's a place out in Livermore that has a whole range of ages of chickens and breeds. It's called Bay Area Farm & Feed at 101 N Greenville Rd. We bought our original flock from there and 2 more birds since. Warning though, the place doesn't Yelp well. People have reported seeing some birds in a bad way there. I didn't witness it myself so maybe they've cleaned up their act.

Thanks a bunch, John. I just called and it sounds like they may have what I am looking for. I'll swing by there tomorrow.

Dave

Thanks a bunch, John. I just called and it sounds like they may have what I am looking for. I'll swing by there tomorrow.

Dave

You're welcome. BTW I'm a Claire not a John (I know you couldn't tell that from my profile ID). Hope you find some nice chickens today. Please report back if the conditions are not great up there.

I'm so proud of my kids today and the Mothers Day gifts they made. The thing in the middle is an egg basket complete with cushioning anti-roll poms poms. I think it's my favorite gift ever. A couple of the girls obliged early this morning so we could test it out. Its' perfect!

Back
Top Bottom