Bay Area BYCers!

Great photos.  I really love the one with momma, it really shows how tiny they are.  

Thank you, Deann!! In the photo with their mother, they are 10 days old. Oh, do you recognize the mother? She is one of your girls from the first group of chicks from you : ) She is beautiful with the most sweet, and gentle personality. In January, she was a tiny little baby herself, and now raising her own babies.

I hope you remember these babies. They are delightful, whimsical, and so friendly..Thank you!!!!

Hey locals, for those who have been debating vaccinating their chicks at hatch Sams Downtown feed in San jose carries mareks. It is for a LOT of chicks, but the cost is in the shipping and packaging, so It would cost the same for one dose. I have been debating getting it shipped but the shipping was twice as much as the **** vaccine!

Hey locals,  for those who have been debating vaccinating their chicks at hatch Sams Downtown feed in San jose carries mareks.  It is for a LOT of chicks, but  the cost is in the shipping and packaging, so It would cost the same for one dose.    I have been debating getting it shipped but the shipping was twice as much as the **** vaccine!

Chiqita - I have extra. When you come over to pick up your new little girl I will send you home with a few bottles of vaccine & diluent. If I remember correctly the case that I bought is good until mid-2014 - I'll check with I get home tomorrow night.

ps - sorry to hear that Sams has mareks - I guess they should have vaccinated the store when it was first built! :lol:

Chiqita - I have extra. When you come over to pick up your new little girl I will send you home with a few bottles of vaccine & diluent. If I remember correctly the case that I bought is good until mid-2014 - I'll check with I get home tomorrow night.

ps - sorry to hear that Sams has mareks - I guess they should have vaccinated the store when it was first built! :lol:

Mario says you have to vaccinate in the blue print phase!

Interesting thing happened the other day. A stray cat was wandering through the yard...cruising across the front of the chicken yard about 6 feet out from the wire. I was keeping a close eye on him/her, as you might imagine! Most of the "girls" were in a clump near the back of their pen...except for Gracie "The Queen of the Flock." She was pacing the cat across the front of the pen, all fluffed out (making her about as big as a beachball as she is a Buff Orp!), and yelling CLUCK...CLUCK...CLUCK...! Definitely challenging the cat (who just kept coolly cruising along ignoring Gracie). I mean Gracie was definitely looking like she was ready to GET IT ON!!

You GO girl!! We don't need no Roos in this flock!! ;-)

Dave

Interesting thing happened the other day. A stray cat was wandering through the yard...cruising across the front of the chicken yard about 6 feet out from the wire. I was keeping a close eye on him/her, as you might imagine! Most of the "girls" were in a clump near the back of their pen...except for Gracie "The Queen of the Flock." She was pacing the cat across the front of the pen, all fluffed out (making her about as big as a beachball as she is a Buff Orp!), and yelling CLUCK...CLUCK...CLUCK...! Definitely challenging the cat (who just kept coolly cruising along ignoring Gracie). I mean Gracie was definitely looking like she was ready to GET IT ON!!

You GO girl!! We don't need no Roos in this flock!! ;-)

Dave

Ha, that's awesome! My blue orp does the same thing to my cats and any wild birds that come around. She'll even rush at them all poofed up. The other day my big 10 year old tomcat flopped down too close to the chicken fence and she totally stared him down. Lol.

I used to have a neighborhood cat come into my chicken yard and hang out. She never bothered the chickens and the chickens ignored her.

The cat eventually moved away.

Then a new guy (cat) moved into the neighborhood. Got up close and personal to the wire. One of my more curious girls went up to the fence to check out the cat, then jumped forward. The cat spit, jumped backward and ran away. Now when the cat visits she gives the chicken yard a wide berth.

Back
Top Bottom