Bay Area BYCers!

Hello - Any BYCers from Sunnyvale here? Does the city ordinance allow BYC?

I'm in Sunnyvale!

Yes, Sunnyvale allows chickens. If you call Sunnyvale Animal Control (408.730.7178), they are actually quite helpful in answering questions.
There is not a limit to number, except if they create a nuisance. You must provide them adequate food, water, space and shelter, and maintain a clean environment for them. Typical complaints are for smell, noise, and flies. Noise ordinances tend to preclude roosters.

Their coop/run/enclosure has to be further than 25 feet from the neighbors, unless you have written permission.

Sunnyvale Municipal Code; Title 6, Animals; Chapter 6.16, General Regulations:
6.16.090. Animals near residences.
It is unlawful for any person to pen, enclose, or otherwise confine, any chicken, duck, pigeon, or any other bird or fowl, within twenty-five feet of an inhabited residence without the written consent of the occupant of such residence. It is unlawful for any person to stake, tie, or otherwise confine, any animal, except a dog, within two hundred feet of an inhabited residence, without the written consent of the occupant of such residence. (Ord. 1628-71 § 2 (part): prior code § 5-1.409).

Last edited:
Hi Sunnyvale Dad.

Check the department of Animal Control for your city.

I'm sure they do as almost all of the communities on the Peninsula allow a certain number of hens.

I live in Palo Alto. The official limit is 6 although at times I've had nine.

The person who inspects my set up yearly for my license loves my set up. The main concern is that you have enough room
for your chickens to flap around and are protected from predators. I have a nice set up. My chicken yard is an enclosed section of my "mini orchard" with two coops inside. That have tons of room to run around and the entire yard is enclosed with chicken netting as well as I have the NiteGuard lights all over to keep night time predators away. She is very happy with me. We end up talking about fruit trees for an hour
after her yearly inspection.

Most cities will allow more if you adopt chickens from your local humane society.

Hope this helps.

Geri in Palo Alto

i am looking to add two new pullets to my flock, does anyone on here have any colored egg layer(blue or dark brown) pullets for sale let me know

Poultry Exhibition Coops - Anybody want to share an order to save on shipping???

I'm going to place an order with http://keippercooping.com/poulty.htm

Prices are lower for quantity. These are the true exhibition quality coops that are smooth wire (not hardware cloth type wire) that is strong enough to last for many years. They are collapsible for storage.

I need these cages for getting my birds used to caging for shows. They are very handy to have for using to line up your birds to evaluate them, side by side. Or for any other time you need to separate or display your poultry.

I'm located NW of Sacramento in Guinda. Looking for people within a couple hour drive to share on the order. Email me at [email protected]

i am looking to add two new pullets to my flock, does anyone on here have any colored egg layer(blue or dark brown) pullets for sale let me know
I have 3 Cream Legbars available. (2 hens 1.5 years old) and 1 pullet 4+ months old. I am selling them because they do not have the crest that the standard calls for so I won't be using them as breeders. They hens will likely start molting soon.

Saddles worked out really well!

Two of my roosters are quite passionate with their favorite hens, which left their backs almost completely naked, and one of which was turning red. Also, being in the molting season made it worse.. I filed, and rounded the tips of the roosters' nails but was not any help at all. I could not separate them because due to predator problems, need the roosters to guard the flock, where they are fabulous guards and protectors.
Finally, decided to make some saddles which I have heard comments about; did not think it would work; but, out of desperation decided to give it a try. Well, I am happy to say that; they do work miracles!! They had the saddles on for more than two weeks now, and their new feathers are pinning out. I am thankful to the person who came up with this wonderful creation: chicken saddles!!

Lual

Back
Top Bottom