Bay Area BYCers!

Hmm... It's interesting you heard that. I thought I heard that as long as you could get enough people in a close enough cluster, you could host too. But maybe it was because this year was sponsored by Slow Food South Bay?

In any case, I encourage an East Bay tour! It seems there are plenty of people with chickens out that way!

We contacted the Organizer and it is apparently a Peninsula and San Jose tour. We thought we were in Silicon Valley (my husband and I both are engineers by training - I'm software, he is both hardware and software), but apparently the term actually only covers the west side and San Jose.

So, I guess I'm putting out a call for coops on this side of the pond.

I went today and was thrilled with the service! Not only was it quick, clean, and respectful to the birds, but their employees were also happy to have me come into the abattoir while my birds were done and let me keep everything but the feathers which go straight into a disposal. They just want you to call ahead if you are bringing in your own birds. I highly recommend them!
Aren't they an halal shop? Islam requires that animals being killed be treated as kindly and with as much respect as possible. Even the prayer said over the animals is a mark of respect - generally a prayer begins with the Bismillah, a reference to God the most Gracious and most Merciful. Since the animal is being killed, to include a reference to God's mercy would almost be ridiculing the very real pain and loss of life of the animal, and so the prayer only references that God is Greater.

It seems most halal slaughterers are of the opinion that the purchaser has the right to watch if they desire, if only to be sure the slaughter is conducted properly. Indeed, most of those raising halal meat are quite willing to have you inspect their farm as long as you are willing to comply with biosecurity.

I do.

Walt

I think we discussed them briefly on another list because of the person who was letting her kids harass the Egyptian goose at the state fair. That is one beautiful bird.

I wish sometime you could give a talk on a weekend or something when my husband and I could actually attend. I've had utility birds off and on since I was a teenager, but as I have just passed 60 I am sort of feeling maybe I should try this show thing. On the other hand, maybe I'm just in my second childhood - I was thinking of getting on a horse for the first time in something like 30 years.....

I think we discussed them briefly on another list because of the person who was letting her kids harass the Egyptian goose at the state fair. That is one beautiful bird.

I wish sometime you could give a talk on a weekend or something when my husband and I could actually attend. I've had utility birds off and on since I was a teenager, but as I have just passed 60 I am sort of feeling maybe I should try this show thing. On the other hand, maybe I'm just in my second childhood - I was thinking of getting on a horse for the first time in something like 30 years.....

The Egyptians are pretty birds. I will be at all the California shows and usually available to talk one to one. The next one will be at Paso Robles 10/4. Utility birds are great but once you see the show birds it is pretty hard to go back. Most have utility and beauty.

Walt

How old is the hen? Is she going into molt? Is she losing weight?
I haven't identified which bird was laying the tiny eggs. Whoever it was has stopped now. One of the possible birds, a Buff Rock, is just over a year old. She seems to be losing feather pigment and is looking more of a strawberry blond than her usual red self. I assume that this is just down to the time of the year rather than there being an inherent problem. Otherwise she, and the rest of the flock, seem to be in good health

I have a Melle Fleur that I would like to find a new home for. She's probably around 2 years old (I got her as a pullet) and is still laying regularly. She's very pretty but basically isn't a very nice chicken - she's a bit of a bully. I know that's not much of a recommendation for her, but maybe someone out there who has a particular interest in that breed and won't be bothered by that. If that's you please let me know and I'll post pics. Otherwise, what's the best way to deal with her? Open to options.....

We contacted the Organizer and it is apparently a Peninsula and San Jose tour. We thought we were in Silicon Valley (my husband and I both are engineers by training - I'm software, he is both hardware and software), but apparently the term actually only covers the west side and San Jose.

So, I guess I'm putting out a call for coops on this side of the pond.

Good luck with finding people near you!

I have a Melle Fleur that I would like to find a new home for. She's probably around 2 years old (I got her as a pullet) and is still laying regularly. She's very pretty but basically isn't a very nice chicken - she's a bit of a bully. I know that's not much of a recommendation for her, but maybe someone out there who has a particular interest in that breed and won't be bothered by that. If that's you please let me know and I'll post pics. Otherwise, what's the best way to deal with her? Open to options.....
I'm assuming you mean a Mille Fleur Belgian d'Uccle Bantam? If thats the case, consider posting on some of the dedicated BYC threads for fans and breeders of that breed and variety might help. Unfortunately I can't take a bully in. I already have to rehome one myself, but hopefully you find her a happy home.

Back
Top Bottom