Bay Area BYCers!

Aha! Well, welcome back to chickendom! And congrats on your educational endeavor. Full time school is hard once you've been out in the work world!

We love our new barn, and I built a new coop right in front of it, using the old pony shelter. Now my birds have a 1/2 acre pasture to hang out in, and I have two coops below that I was letting sit "fallow". Today I just put in my MF Bantam cochin chicks in the old coop that you saw. I have three cuter-than heck dudes to deal with, but hopefully three females that I want to see how they turn out. Mostly i want them to be female! :) I left the nicest pullet up with my rooster and two hens, which will give him another bantam gal.

As for LF, I had a big set back, and so brought back some eggs and a bird from Bev Davis when I went to FL last May. Between her eggs and mine, I have four lovely pullets and two cockerels (one that is staying) that are four months old. I have two Penedesencas and a Cream Legbar for eggs, and a meat bird mix that just went broody. Working on rebuilding my flock!

I started my own consulting business a year ago, so now help small wineries when they are stuck with their sales and marketing. Life is good!
Panoramic view

Hi Amirah:

Welcome.

I live in Palo Alto, however there is a Pet Club next to my Costco in Mountain View. They have good and reasonably priced Laying Crumbles, Pellets and Scratch.

@Amirah what do you consider "local", & "reasonably priced"?
smile.png

I don't have anything specific in mind. But curious on what other people around this area pay and what they have discovered being the most economical options for organic feed etc.

[COLOR=800000]I don't have anything specific in mind.  But curious on what other people around this area pay and what they have discovered being the most economical options for organic feed etc.[/COLOR]

Hi Amirah,
You will find the best price in "feed stores" which you can do search to find some closest to where you live. Average price for 50 pound quality feed is around $ 20.00, give or take a little, and lasts a while if you have small number of chickens. But, if what you have is a large flock, there are many feed stores, as well as some mills where you can purchase large quantities in Sonoma County, which is about an hour north of San Francisco.
Lual

Anyone want to order from Greenfire Farms?

I'm getting ready to place an order with Greenfire farms. There's a minimum of 6 chicks but I would like to get at least 15-20 for warmth. If anyone is interested in ordering from them let me know. I'll talk to them this week and see when they can ship.

They carry many great lines. However they do not sex their chicks so that is something to consider when ordering. They do have two auto sexing breeds... the Cream Legbar and the Bielefelder. Here's the link to their site.

http://greenfirefarms.com/

If you're ordering a few of the auto sexing pullets I can pay for them and you can pay me when you pick them up. However any others you would need to pay me (or Greenfire farms), Sorry but I feel I can rehome the Pullets for what I paid for them but not the unsexed ones.... also some of the birds are pretty expensive. :)

Message me privately if you're interested.

Thanks,
Deborah

I'm in Union City a few blocks off 880

Last edited:
Shipping feed is very expensive, and may cost as much as the feed itself.

If you have a car, there are several options. Please call before going to these, because I haven't been to most of them recently. Note that I am *deliberately* omitting any stores located on the other end of a toll bridge.

Dean's Animal Feed
2690 Middelfield Road
San Carlos, CA 94070
Phone: (650) 593-1425

Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel in Half Moon Bay.
Portola Valley Feed
884 Portola Rd
Portola Valley CA, 94028
(650)851-1750

San Mateo Feed & Pet Supply (located in Redwood City)
346 El Camino Real
Redwood City, CA 94062
Tel: (650) 365-6738

If you don't mind crossing a toll bridge, I'm rather fond of Concord Feed in Dublin, right on the Pleasanton border. They have several stores, but I think that one is closest to SF.There is also Mike's in San Leandro and Close in Hayward.

I don't have anything specific in mind. But curious on what other people around this area pay and what they have discovered being the most economical options for organic feed etc.

I don't feed organic because when I have tried organic or non-GMO feeds, using the gradual switchover method, I watched my egg production go south. Not good.
I feed Purina Layena pellets and use a rodent proof feeder in order to avoid having a rodent or wild bird problem. During the last molt I fed Nutrena Feather Fixer, and
the girls loved it.

Back
Top Bottom