Bay Area BYCers!

Greetings Bay Area BYCer's

Hows everyone doing.

Does anyone on here cultivate black soldier flies? I have loads of chicken manure and pet waste that I would like to compost/bio-convert. I am semi hesitant at ordering BSF larvae online as I don't know where they come from or if they are legit BSF and non-invasive species.

Anyone have expertise in this area? Anyone feed BSF larvae to their chickens?

Also, I am happy to report, I have a thriving beehive and backyard honey - victory never tasted so sweet!

Happy Monday everyone!

-KM

I actually ordered my collar shortly after I posted last. So far I don't need it; not sure if a caponized cockerel will ever begin to crow. We'll see.
As far as I understand it, caponizing (or castration/testie removal) SHOULD makes them act, behave and grow more like a hen.
With that said, they still have the ability to crow. Keep an ear out and you will find out!

Hello all! I know it's primarily chicken people on here but in addition to chickens my family has pheasants. We currently have 5 related golden phesants that we are looking to rehome, 2 roosters and 3 hens. These are excellent stock, we are simply bringing in new genetics to diversify bloodlines.

1 normal male from 2014
1 juvenile (normal) male from 2015
1 normal hen from 2014
1 normal hen from 2013
1 yellow hen from 2013

We are asking $200 for all 5 birds. Please let me know if you're interested, I have tons of photos but I'm struggling to upload them here.

Hi Everyone,

.... I have posted this also on the Wine Country Chickens chat group ...

Has anyone heard from Kim Consol? Just wondering if she and her family were affected by the fires.

For many of us who have been with Western Farm Center Feed Store in Santa Rosa for years and years, here's an update from Linda of Western Farm Center about Bruce, a retired employee ... we called WF this morning, and Linda returned our call a few hours later. She said lots of people have called asking about Bruce.

Update on Bruce, retired Western Farm employee who lives in Middletown: Linda from Western Farm returned our call and said Bruce and his wife and dogs are OK, but their entire property burned ... they lost everything, house and all. Linda said Bruce let his animals loose before the fire overtook the area. Bruce and his wife are thankful they are OK. When I find out more, I’ll post another update.

Hey Daphne, I haven't seen anything posted online by Kim recently. (I think- what's her screen name?) I'll make sure to keep her in mind for good thoughts. The fires are completely devastating.
sad.png

Quick pic (with my iPhone) of one of the bantam Chocolate pullets I've grown out this year. She should be laying any day now...

Back
Top Bottom