Bay Area BYCers!

Hello Bay Area BYCers! How are your flocks handling this storm? I got hone from work at aroubd 4:45 or so tonightcand they all scrambled to the gate to greet me hoping for a romp in tbe yard! So I let ghem run aroundxs bit. The six pullets went back in after just a couple minutes, but the three hens stayed out until 5:20! Crazy girls! I hear it pouring right now, but haven’t noticed the strong winds that were predicted. Anyone else? All my coop windows are uncovered, so I hope the rain doesn’t get blown inside. I did not close their “shutters” that protect the windier side. I’m tempted to throw on my rain gear and check if I should close them.
So far so good!? I would close the shutters, they can’t stay warm if they get wet... I always close up one window in the rain so they have a nice cozy area on one side of the coop. This time I finally thought to put a tarp iver the run before the big rain and it works well to keep it from getting too swampy. No free range time for my poor flock though, because we are still waiting for the Army Corps to pick up the toxic debris that’s left of our home...

So far so good!? I would close the shutters, they can’t stay warm if they get wet... I always close up one window in the rain so they have a nice cozy area on one side of the coop. This time I finally thought to put a tarp iver the run before the big rain and it works well to keep it from getting too swampy. No free range time for my poor flock though, because we are still waiting for the Army Corps to pick up the toxic debris that’s left of our home...
So sorry to hear about your home. Glen Ellen got hit hard. Glad your chickens made it! My flock got evacuated the first night in the back of the pick up under the camper shell. They spent 8 nights in there, and day time in my sister's back yard while we waited to see if our home would survive. It was very close, but we got lucky.

Ugh. So sorry.
I am happy to report all the girls and the coop sre nice and dry. Left the lower shutters open, since they’re below the lowest roost. Mostly closed the upper shutter just in case, but forgot it doesn’t yet have a proper latch. I’ll take care of that tomorrow. There’s a tarp over one section of the run, but most of it is getting soaked. I’d like to put a roof of some kind over the run this year.

So sorry to hear about your home. Glen Ellen got hit hard. Glad your chickens made it! My flock got evacuated the first night in the back of the pick up under the camper shell. They spent 8 nights in there, and day time in my sister's back yard while we waited to see if our home would survive. It was very close, but we got lucky.
Lucky you! Lucky me, too. I we have had fires around us, the past couple years, but haven’t even been evacuated. I don’t have a great plan for what I would do if that happened. I better figure that out.

We had a few hours watching the glow approach. Mostly got the animals packed up first. We were lucky to be set up for it and have family near. Terrible how fast the fire moved and very sobering to see the results. So many homes lost. Enjoying some rain right now!

Hello! It just occurred to me that you can bring hatching eggs on the plane in your carryon. I will be flying to SF for business, next week with my return flight leaving April 15th. Maybe I can use this trip to bring home some hatching eggs that I can't find here in WI. Does anyone have eggs they'd be willing to sell me? In particular I like bielefelder (2011), cream legbars, American bresse, California blue leg, or any other fun and unique breeds.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hello BayArea BYCers! New member and first time poster, here! :)

My husband and I are new Chicken Parents and live in the Peninsula. We got our first two hens from HMB Fuel & Feed. A BlackStar/Sexlink & a Gold Laced Wyandotte 1 month ago! They're doing great, but we would like to know where we can purchase 2-3 additional Hens: We're specifically interested in purchasing either 6 week or 3 month hens that lay dark brown or blue/green eggs :) We are thinking BCMs, Easter Eggers, or Blue or another other type of Ameraucana. Unfortunately we just don't have the space, time, or equipment to raise them from chickcs.

I figure it anyone knows, it would be you all! :)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Hello BayArea BYCers! New member and first time poster, here! :)

My husband and I are new Chicken Parents and live in the Peninsula. We got our first two hens from HMB Fuel & Feed. A BlackStar/Sexlink & a Gold Laced Wyandotte 1 month ago! They're doing great, but we would like to know where we can purchase 2-3 additional Hens: We're specifically interested in purchasing either 6 week or 3 month hens that lay dark brown or blue/green eggs :) We are thinking BCMs, Easter Eggers, or Blue or another other type of Ameraucana. Unfortunately we just don't have the space, time, or equipment to raise them from chickcs.

I figure it anyone knows, it would be you all! :)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to BYC! I think that Davis Poultry Farm in Gilroy sells started pullets. Not positive, but I think maybe they are debeaked, so ask before you make the drive.

Davis Poultry Farm
155 Santa Clara Ave.
Gilroy, CA 95020
(408) 842-4894

Sam's in San Jose know a lot of chicken people, so call and ask them too.
https://www.samsdowntownfeedstore.com/

WANTED: BROODY HEN

Help! Our own broody has suddenly decided she is no longer interested in being a mama hen. We’ve got six baby chicks, just a few days old, who are desperate for a mother.

Would anyone know where I could buy (or borrow!) a broody hen ASAP, or would one of you have one available? We’re in Pacifica, and can travel all over the bay area.

Many many thanks
Olivia
P.S. Text me anytime at 917 723 4181.

Back
Top Bottom