Bay Area BYCers!

Are you looking for the Buy/Sell/Auction section? You can give away birds there, too.

eta - oops, thanks Cheryl. I didn't see that you had already posted.

Last edited:
Is there anyone on this thread that is in Lafayette? Or does anyone know of others. We have a group working on chicken ordinances and wondered if there were of Lafflitians out there
smile.png

Quote:
Steff, next year I'll have:

Heritage Delawares
BW Ameraucana
& UK type BBS Orps

chicks and hatching eggs.
smile.png

Oh!

I almost forgot,

Wheaten/BW Olive Eggers
& "Fancy" EEs (Basically non-hatchery Easter Eggers, I want to see what I can create using my Ameraucana.)

big_smile.png

Quote:
That makes sense. Production breeds are bred for..., well..., production, not form etc... My Ams are about the same height as my BOs but my BOs are hatchery not heritage stock. Hatchery BOs are much smaller than heritage birds but lay a bigger egg and more often. The Ams are much more slender than the BOs though.
Hey, speaking of BOs I have a very broody BO that I'm thinking of giving up. She is just shy of a year and 5 months. She is a good layer and has a wonderful personality (when she's not broody). I was sure I would be able to handle all these birds but I think I'd better thin them out a tiny bit at least. There is no yard left for Steve and I right now. They've taken over!
lol.png

Anyway, do you want her? I think I'm also gonna give away one of my sex-links. That should bring my flock to a little more manageable size (who am I kidding? 30 birds on my city lot? It's too many, but I just love all the different breeds I have!).
tongue.png

Oooo, just realized how late it is! I have to get up at 4:30! Goodnight Steff!

My BOs are just hatchery BOs, but still pretty good-sized. They don't lay gigantic eggs, and only average about 3-4 eggs a week, when they are laying. I don't know where the feed store got them. (Western Farm, Santa Rosa) I know those heritage BOs can get gigantic, though, but I've never seen any to compare. Yes, I'd love to have your broody BO.
hugs.gif
smile.png
My flock has gotten much thinner than I wanted this year. I have one egg in the fridge, and my only laying BO is now molting.
hmm.png
If she is broody to the point of insanity, I might have to get her some hatching eggs in the spring.
smile.png
(my chance to try Ameraucanas again!)

IDK how often she'll be like this. This is the first time she has gone so seriously broody. As a pullet she played around with the idea but was easy to discourage. This time she is serious! She has been on the nest for almost 2 weeks and does that puffing up thing when you come near. Plus she will defend her "eggs" (plastic easter eggs that she has collected from most of the other nests) by pecking hard if you just stick your hand in there.
I don't know how but she manages to steal the marans' eggs (or she lets them into the nest long enough to lay) and sits on them 'til I take a broom and push her off the nest (she is learning to hop off when she sees the broom). She will jump right back onto her plastic eggs when I'm done though. I've checked at night, to be sure she is serious, and yes she's there all night as well.
smile.png

Quote:
My BOs are just hatchery BOs, but still pretty good-sized. They don't lay gigantic eggs, and only average about 3-4 eggs a week, when they are laying. I don't know where the feed store got them. (Western Farm, Santa Rosa) I know those heritage BOs can get gigantic, though, but I've never seen any to compare. Yes, I'd love to have your broody BO.
hugs.gif
smile.png
My flock has gotten much thinner than I wanted this year. I have one egg in the fridge, and my only laying BO is now molting.
hmm.png
If she is broody to the point of insanity, I might have to get her some hatching eggs in the spring.
smile.png
(my chance to try Ameraucanas again!)

IDK how often she'll be like this. This is the first time she has gone so seriously broody. As a pullet she played around with the idea but was easy to discourage. This time she is serious! She has been on the nest for almost 2 weeks and does that puffing up thing when you come near. Plus she will defend her "eggs" (plastic easter eggs that she has collected from most of the other nests) by pecking hard if you just stick your hand in there.
I don't know how but she manages to steal the marans' eggs (or she lets them into the nest long enough to lay) and sits on them 'til I take a broom and push her off the nest (she is learning to hop off when she sees the broom). She will jump right back onto her plastic eggs when I'm done though. I've checked at night, to be sure she is serious, and yes she's there all night as well.
smile.png

well, there's always broody jail. it works pretty well. Tatertot had two broody stints, and jail is what cured her.
tongue.png

Quote:
smile.png

well, there's always broody jail. it works pretty well. Tatertot had two broody stints, and jail is what cured her.
tongue.png

lol.png
I haven't ever tried that. I actually got Orps because they are good brooders and sometimes you want to try hatching a few eggs but right now I have 2 broodies and no need of more chicks so... I guess I didn't think this through well enough. My other broody is 1 of my RIRs and they are rarely broody! She has been on the nest 4 almost 3 weeks but she is not as good at defending the nest. I am more impressed with the Orp's dedication. She will be an excellent mother hen someday.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom