Bay Area BYCers!

I assume you've inspected for lice/mites or other parasites?

Make sure to put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water if you can...never had experience with that but let me try to help research

Quote:
Thank you, Cheryl! I'm going to examine her again, closely, with glasses on. We didn't see any signs of parasites on the first couple exams but it doesn't hurt to look again. Off to put some vitamins in her water.

Thank You Cheryl, hard to take bad pics of chicks...they stay still way better than older birds. Also, I still want to get with you about the Birchen Marans if they are still around. If not, no worries, I lagged, I understand. I have been super busy on the farm lately.

Jeremy, I think the Sumatra from Bridget might have fertility ?s I did not get any either. If you do have extra unspoken for BW chicks let me know. It is funny how when people realize you are a "chicken guy" they assume you can find them anything they want. Which,in reality, thanks to BYC, may be true. What a resource.

My Marans came from a guy named Shane(ksf59) in Iowa. I like BCM, but frankly I am more enchanted by Blues and Splashes. So, I got a great deal on his Blue/Splash eggs. He threw in some BCM eggs to fill the order also. The BCM eggs are noticeably darker, so we'll see what comes out. I am hoping some clean legged blues. Those feathered feet are tough down here. I am drooling over Ruths eggs in that pic. If I did not have eggs in now, I would try to piggyback an order. Gorgeous eggs. How many hatched from the last batch? These eggs are my first shipped eggs, I am always curious as to others success rates.

The Penedesenca Cockerel issue is real,I guess. It seems people hatch way more boys. Luckily,I have one girl already, so we will see. A quick wheaten Pene pic. They are so in love.
54187_pene_love.jpg

And, just because, here is a pic of my two Blue Coronation Sussex pullets. I love the depth of color in that blue neck line.
54187_blue_coro.jpg

Quote:
Debi, I know nothing about botulism BUT you should PM kathyinmo. I know that she has delt with it with her birds and she is great at problem solving. She's a nice woman, I know her through the Del thread mostly.

I hope you can get it figured out!

Quote:
Luke, sorry about your luck with the Sumatra. I was really looking forward to at least a couple. Oh well, maybe I'll try again next season.

I LOVE the blue and splash birds too! I have one Blue Copper chick that came from those gorgeous eggs sent to me by Monique, altogether 5 out of the 7 Marans eggs she sent me hatched. I thought that was terrific for shipped eggs.
smile.png
1 Blue Copper and 4 Black Coppers. I'm getting more eggs from her this week to put under a broody, all Olive Eggers though. I would definitely recommend her to anyone who was looking for Marans with excellent egg color.

Your Coros are beautiful! Each picture I see of them I'm liking them more and more. Maybe I should add a pullet to my flock?

Cheryl I love those names!

My favorite Barbara movie!

I keep hovering over my hatcher that isn't due till tomorrow, but there are 5 BCMs in there I need to hatch this time. Can't seem to get anything else done. LOL

I'm going through all the birds I'm rehoming today and tomorrow. I have some Marans x Games, a Wade Jean cockerel, that's just got to much copper in him and probably thr Silkie x AM I hatched for the CNY hatch. They're so cute, but I think I'm only keeping the one in my avatar. That's Hootie. I also have some Prestley/Valentine BCM chicks. That's my youngest flock and they lay pretty steady, so I should be good with getting more. They'll be a year on the 24th, so I have at least another good year with them laying. My Davis birds are trying to kick in a bit though. They were laying here and there (almost 3 and 4 years old), but they seem to be picking up ever so slightly.

My little bantam Wellies are looking good. Finally have a roo in there, so I'll be keeping him, but for now I have a couple of the older ones covered by a Pene roo. I'm trying to get the bantam Wellie eggs to go darker. Bantams lay nothing close to the LF. Out of the ones left from the cat attack I have one BCM from the eggs I won in Stockton, 1 Cuckoo Marans and since I have pulled my smallest LF Wellie out and he was in the house I have him. He's looking pretty good. Now to go get him a couple of girls.

My one little Wellie x Pene is so small compared to the Game x and the Bcm chicks. LOL It's holding it's own though and I have a feeling it's a roo. That works though, so I can put him over the pure girls later and see if the eggs darken.

I think I'm also taking one of my MFDU roos, or both to auction unless someone would be interested in them. One is in with a Silkie roo and they like to pull tail feathers, but no bare spots and the other doesn't like the other roos, so he's alone.

Then I really hate to do it, but I may give up my Bling a BLP roo. I love him, but I can't find any girls for him, so even though I don;t want to, I may have to.

Time to put my nose to the bator again I think.

The babies are doing great! I still have to vaccinate for Marek's, but am guessing Cheryl won't be coming over this weekend.
big_smile.png
I'll muddle through.
smile.png

Here's their baby pics...
First one is Bubba's baby. All others are a mix from a lady in Sebastopol.

I need to go back through my hatch pics and correlate the egg color with the chick. I'm thinking I have a couple cuckoo marans. But, I have no idea what that little blonde baby is. It came from a marans egg. Any guesses?

eta - I forgot to add...chick #8 is the baby who came from the egg marked Jess8. (rejected by the broodies twice, but subsequently hatched in the bator.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom