Bay Area BYCers!

Hi all! Newbie here. I am in the South Bay - Morgan Hill. I would love a recommendation for some feed and supply stores around these parts. I have briefly checked out Farmers Feed and Supply on Monterey Rd. How are their prices compared to other places? I work close to an An-Jan in San Jose. How are the prices and quality here?
I think I've lived on this site for the past week or so since I signed up, and my head is swirling with great info!! My son's kindergarten class is hatching chicks, so we have signed on to bring a few home - they should be coming home June 3rd. My husband already has the coop started, and we have the brooder almost ready to go. I'm learning a lot about the fabulous world of chicken-raising from all of you! Glad to have so many of you all close by.
I'm sure my question about local feed and supply stores has probably been answered somewhere on these 400 and something pages, I just couldn't take the time to read through all of them (I gave it a good effort, tho!). Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
Welcome.............fasten your seatbelts for a fun ride. Sorry I can't help with your question but I live in Turlock.Too far away to know what you need there. Many moons ago I drove to Morgan Hill to buy a pair of Embden geese from a Mrs. Swanson there. She lived in a beautiful place in rolling green hills with little creeks & bridges. I loved it there.
Karen in Turlock

Quote:
woot.gif

That's awesome Linda! Congratulations!

Now... when can we all come and visit?
wink.png

Not only am I going to have a house-warming party once I'm ready, I intend to have a BYC Fellowship Gathering there - again, once I'm all set up. It will take about three months, though, I fear. Fencing to get installed, propane tank delivered and filled, coop built out of the detached building called a "garage," and all that.

Stand by to come party! The way there is through MANY wineries with tasting rooms.......

Who ever would have thought that a year later I would finally get an email from a breeder stating they have Mille Fleur Leghorn chicks ready to ship if I'm still interested... I should hopefully be getting them by this weekend!
ya.gif

Anyways, I got excited, I'm going to go back to planting Clematis now...

Last edited:
Quote:
Who are they from, pls share the info, let's work together. I have a flock of 13 now from what I thought was the only breeder left in the country & some others from sandhill that I'm getting this week and another 20 from sandhill direct mid june.

If you are planning to breed them, they are needing a TON of work and working together will be the best way to get them to improve

Last edited:
I plan on using them for a peoject...
wink.png

ETA: Plus, I honestly don't have room for another rooster, that is unless something truly special comes along.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what does it mean when chicken breeds "need a lot of work"? I keep reading this, and I'm curious what is being worked on.

Back
Top Bottom