Bay Area BYCers!

My grown son was laid of work so is home for now so I thought besides having help with the chickens which I really enjoy He could build some of my grow out pens for sale.
They are recycled wooden fruit bins that I have adapted to use as brooders, growout pens etc. They measure 4 foot by 4 foot by 2 foot with hinged lids on 2 sides. I make them with holes in the top middle board to hang a light for brooding if needed. The hinged tops are covered with 1/2 hardware cloth.
I have 5 of my own that are used for various stages of growth for my chicks. As my chicks grow I move them to the grow out pens until I put them out with the adults as they get big enough. I hang buckets with nipple waterers in the corner of mine but you can use commercial founts just set in them too. I hang a feeder off the middle top board on a hook with chain.
I have really been happy with these & my son has been building them with me.
I was going to sell them on Craigslist as I do my hatching eggs & chicks but thought I would offer them locally to BYC chicken lovers first.
I haven't told my son yet. I thought I would see if there was any interest first.
$120 each local pick up. We live in Turlock
Karen 209-667-6667

67305_peach_bin_brooder.jpg

Thought Id jump in thebay area thread too and introduce myself and say hi from Santa Rosa, new member here and complete chicken addict....

Proud mama of 3 laying hens; (an astralorp, a bantam barred rock, and an easter egger) 1 cow, 2 steers, 1 Aussie, 1 odd eye cat, and tired mama of 3 barred rocks, 10 speckled sussex (other wise known around here as the lap chickens) 2 Dominiques, 6 easter eggers, 2 golden laced wyandottes, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 2 black bantam cochins (one frizzle) one buff cochin, one blue cochin, a silly cuckoo marans, 2 dark brahmas, and 5 iowa blues.

My husband is a chicken enabler. We started with 2 back yard coops and a run, and are now working on converting one of the horse pens and stalls to a large luxury condo.

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhh

Chicken Math!

Welcome to the Bay Area thread. A few of us are actually in other areas, but we started out in the Bay.

ummm

We like chicken pictures. Heck we like all pictures. You'll have to share some.

Quote:
Welcome & good for you. It sounds like you've got it goin'.............................love to have company in our chicken addition....LOL Where did you get all your birds, especially the Dominiques???? I have 3 I hatched earlier this season but find them hard to come by.

Quote:
Welcome & good for you. It sounds like you've got it goin'.............................love to have company in our chicken addition....LOL Where did you get all your birds, especially the Dominiques???? I have 3 I hatched earlier this season but find them hard to come by.

the Dominiques are hatchery stock from Ideal, our local feed store has them right now, they are the in the baby box in my living room
smile.png
and just as cute as can be. We have gotten a few from a local breeder (the Cochins and the Cuckoo) and the rest from Western Farms that is our local feed place.

the Dominiques are hatchery stock from Ideal, our local feed store has them right now, they are the in the baby box in my living room smile and just as cute as can be. We have gotten a few from a local breeder (the Cochins and the Cuckoo) and the rest from Western Farms that is our local feed place.

welcome-byc.gif

A few of us here shop at Western Farm Center in Santa Rosa. It's a wonderful family owned place with great co-owners, Larrry and Lou, and a super helpful staff
love.gif

Quote:
Been going there since I was kid many many many years ago... We now go more often than the grocery store...is that bad sign? I notice you have bees too clio. My mom and stepdad raise bees next door to us. They keep trying to give my girls drone brood. Do you ever give that to your flock?

Been going there since I was kid many many many years ago... We now go more often than the grocery store...is that bad sign? I notice you have bees too clio. My mom and stepdad raise bees next door to us. They keep trying to give my girls drone brood. Do you ever give that to your flock?

Western Farm Center has better prices on so many of their products. I shopped around for dog crates for my broody chicken, and they had the lowest prices, compared to PetCo and Pet Club. You would wonder how they stay in business with the large pet stores around; the WFC staff knows what they are talking about and what the store is selling and how a product may be better than another comparable one (example: I wanted to get some poultry dust, in addition to the Sevin and the DE that I'm now using .. John told me not to "overdust" the coop, b/c the combo of different chemicals could kill my chickens. He also looked at an organic product, and suggested that it would not work.)

feeding drone brood: my husband doesn't do that, and neither has a good friend of ours who has chickens in Petaluma. Picking out the drone brood is time consuming, and may also destroy the hive, in his opinion. He thinks the chickens may eat the drone brood if fed to them, but he won't do it.

Back
Top Bottom