Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
Cute!

What is the redish colored bird on the left?

Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Marans, the Fitz birds lighten up as they mature, I have 2 hens that are laying now from an early hatch of theirs and they are perfect in type and color

Quote:
Cute!

What is the redish colored bird on the left?

Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Marans, the Fitz birds lighten up as they mature, I have 2 hens that are laying now from an early hatch of theirs and they are perfect in type and color

Oh! I thought it was a New Hampshire at first, LOL. Do you have any pictures of your older Fitz birds? I'm still toying with the idea of ordering eggs from them.

Quote:
What a cutie!!! She looks like the llamas we saw at the state fair on Sunday! They had the puff tails, the saddle areas were sheared, and the front of the saddle area behind the neck they left unsheared so it looked like your little one's boa! It was fun to see all the animals but the chickens were a disappointment. There were not very many and I really wanted to see the youth/4H chickens but that competition was held during the first week of the fair.

Last edited:
Quote:

Oh! I thought it was a New Hampshire at first, LOL. Do you have any pictures of your older Fitz birds? I'm still toying with the idea of ordering eggs from them.

No nothing current sorry

Quote:
What a cutie!!! She looks like the llamas we saw at the state fair on Sunday! They had the puff tails, the saddle areas were sheared, and the front of the saddle area behind the neck they left unsheared so it looked like your little one's boa! It was fun to see all the animals but the chickens were a disappointment. There were not very many and I really wanted to see the youth/4H chickens but that competition was held during the first week of the fair.

Thanks, these Brahmas, are hysterical as they grow out, bald butts big brahma-saurus'

Last edited:
We have one hatchery buff Brahma that was an impulse buy. She is around 18 weeks now and huge! She is bigger than our grown hens but she is a sweetie and not assertive at all. I love having a variety of breeds. Hopefully, when I am in a position to breed them, I'll be able to narrow my choices down to only a few breeds.
fl.gif

Having different breeds also helps me tell them apart! We have a few duplicates in our older chickens. The SLWs are easy to tell apart because their markings are very different. With the BRs, I have to look at their combs to know who is who. We have three 11 week old Speckled Sussex chicks and I'm hoping that they develop some distinctive spots soon because I'm having a hard time telling them apart! I may have to put some different colored leg bands on them!
smile.png

Quote:
I completely agree! I don't understand how people just buy the same looking chickens, even if it is for egg production!

Ditto!

Double Ditto.

I like the variety in our chickenyard. We have cuckoo marans, blue wheaten ameraucanas, white faced black Spanish, a blue marans cross, a couple of Easter eggers, an american gamehen that goes broody when the wind blows, a red/brown ameraucana, a silver-laced wyandotte, some silkies, couple of pairs of barnevelders, a mated pair of porcelain d'uccles, a black mottled java rooster (and 9 of his offspring from a variety of mothers, but they all look like mottled java chicks), a painted bantam cochin roo, some baby buff orps, black australorp, a white crested black polish, a partridge rock, and a whole slew of mixed breeds/mutts with various colors and patterns that are anywhere from a couple of weeks to 4-5 months old!

I like variety.

Back
Top Bottom